question

stuart avatar image

how do i use ve configure with a mac?

i am trying to connect to a multiplus to use ve config tools using a mac(not windows) i have downloaded wine bottler and have the software installed and it seems to run fine but when i try to connect using auto detect it cannot connect? any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers, stuart

VEConfigure 3mac os
3 comments
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I have the same dilemma with my Microsoft surface pro anyone know why ?

Different look at the same problem:

- VictronConnect runs on a Mac:

Got a MultiPlus48/3000/35-16 , an MPPT an Orion 48Vdc to 12, with 48V 200Ah batteries and a battery monitor. I need to set a couple of things in the Multiplus to get it to accept the genset energy. Multiple ways lead to the Apple Mac Store, but once on the VictronConnect page there is only an OPEN button and NO DOWNLOAD command. When it runs, it pops up a window, with a device search list. Everything fine until now, except that my devices are 200 kilometers away. If I would have a grid I would not buy all that stuff and as it happens in the middle of the woods, there is no internet either

Question: How or where can I DOWNLOAD VictronConnect for a Mac (OS 0.14.3)?

Post scriptum:

Just found out what happens. In MacAppStore, In MacAppStore, push OPEN, the only button there is and let it search for devices - do not cut short. After a minute or so the application gives up telling: "No devices detected". Close the window.

Without telling anything, VictronConnect has installed itself in a subfolder of "Applications" called "Utilities". Good to know. As soon as I stand near my Multiplus, I will do a serious test, hoping to get things running.

Hi Paul. I'm not sure you're heading in the right direction here. 'Accepting genset energy' functions in a Multi are beyond the scope of VictronConnect. These things change often, but I expect you'll need VE.Configure and a MK3>usb dongle to do that. This is a link from today:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

To access even with Connect, you'd need a VE.Bus Smart dongle and newish Multi firmware on board. Functionality seems limited for what you want to do. And it won't be your Mac.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

Just in case you're unaware..

7 Answers
Markus avatar image

Hi, I personally use a Mac with a Parallels based Windows VM for that, with absolutely no problems.

You can download a 180 day test version of Windows for free. And Parallels is also available for trial period. Maybe you get your configurations done in that time, so it would be possible for free ;o)

There are posts here of people managed to run VE.configure in Wine. So it should be possible, getting it up and running within this platform too.

Best Regards,

Markus

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hallo ! I downloaded free version of Paralells yesterday on my Mac and it works fine for VE.Configure for my Easysolar 24/3000. I will probably buy it after the 14 day free trial period. So far I recommend Paralells for Mac :-) -Eric
stuart avatar image

thanks so much markus, i will try it out that way, regards, stuart

1 comment Share

You can even have, to look it like it would run directly in OSX:

linqf avatar image

Can see this https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/victron-dev-venus/GSftlA5xj1Y

Need a little knowledge.

Manually link the Mk3 device to Wine's Com port.

etc.

Finally plug in your MK3 to USB adapter , then go into terminal and do a " ls /dev " , then look for a something like tty.usbserial-HQ1722D4FRM take that TTY device and make a symlink to a com port in the wine dosdevices directory like so " ln -s /dev/tty.usbserial-HQ1722D4FRM ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 ".

5 comments Share

I can't decrypt a question here ;o) What kind of knowledge do you mean?

Some computer related knowledge. For example, how to open a terminal and use the command line.

Maybe, it is a bit more easy to do it with Parallels. There is no need of a command line in that case.

Yes. This is a sad question about money. But one more free option is always better, isn't it?

If you just want to configure your devices, maybe the free Parallels trial period is good enough to go.

rokr avatar image

Hi, I use a MBP 2012, and have a boot partition set up and running Windows 7. Works without any problems, i use the USB-Mk2 dongle..

camthecam avatar image

I got parallels but didn't finish the install before the trial ran out. Thought I'd program my Multi (19**) before I set up but it needed to be run on batteries to do this not AC.

Installed wine and got VEConfigure to go but 'port not found' after doing the manual tty thing.

Tried VMware.

Tried Rpi....Venus but that is not compatible. why not put mk3 in Venus? Anyone? Beuller?

Tried ReactOS...

Tried borrowing a windows laptop from work but security wouldn't let me download any programs (VEConfig)

So I have a bluetooth dongle, a usb - Mk3, a multiplus, 4 mac computers, internet, batteries BUT I can't configure the Multi!!! WTF?

I might have to buy a secondhand computer off gumtree, drive to get it, programme the multi, advertise the pc on bay to sell it again.... really?

Very frustrated at this point. The furtherest (is that a word?) I got was with wine, but it wouldn't see the com port. I did the ln/dev thing found my tty number, put that in wine, but no joy. Any tips before I use a perfectly good Multi as an anchor?

2 comments Share

Hi @camthecam,

Maybe its cheaper and less effort to just buy a parallels license key than a secondhand Windows computer. ...just thinking.

Regards,

Markus

Check out VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org it's free. I don't know if will work with VE Configure but worth a try.

Rom avatar image

so y they just dont make veconfigure for mac?

old bargee avatar image

PLEASE VICTRON; whysubject your customers to all this grief when you of all people should be able to get someone to modify this little app for Mac?

1 comment Share

The future is VictronConnect, which is available for Mac.

It can already do many of the most common things required for VE.Bus systems, though not yet feature complete with VEConfigure.

What is holding you back from using VictronConnect?