question

zmarkiss avatar image
zmarkiss asked

Multiplus 24v 3000VA 70 amps - Charging Concerns

My Multiplus switches between charging state prematurely. It will change from bulk to absorption between 85% and 88% (SOC), but I have the bulk state set at 90% (SOC) (see image 1 below). From absorption to float between 90% to 95% (SOC) (see image 2 below). I always thought the float state would be 2 amps or less. Can someone tell what is going?

battery charging
1573146623083.png (66.2 KiB)
img-0487.jpg (2.1 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The way I read this feature,

When the charger transitions from bulk to absorb, the state of charge is reset to 90%. (or whatever value is programmed)

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Z. Klim is onto it. Your Multi is just following a charge algorithm determined by V, unless of course you have some special high-level kit installed.

I note you have 'DC Power' enabled in the GX. If you actually have dc loads, then the SOC determined in the Multi (the VEConfig thing) would be worthless, as you'd need a BMV to pick the dc up. The Multi can't see dc loads that aren't going through it.

With no dc real loads that dc box will just be trying to balance the screen out, and with varying sample times will just flick about and be meaningless.

Your A in Float shown is typical. It should taper after a while, perhaps to < 2A, and with your 217Ah bank, down there could be considered pretty much 100% SOC, for all practical purposes.

If your SOC doesn't show that, then you need to tune it so it does. And once you've managed to do that, you may well just choose to return to watching V's and A's anyway.. :)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zmarkiss avatar image zmarkiss commented ·

Hey, thanks for the replies! I have a BMV-712 and DC loads. The BMV and charge controller are connect directly to the CCXG. All of the DC load run through Orion 24v -12v conveter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

As far as I know the current MultiPlus chargers still follow the logic in this whitepaper for absorption phase duration;

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Adaptive_charging_how_it_works.pdf

That is that that the absorption phase duration will be 5x the duration of the bulk phase.

There is no measurement of charge tail current to end the absorption phase with a MultiPlus charger.

If your not getting enough charge into the batteries, you could try to reduce the max charge current a little as a workaround - that will lead to a longer bulk time, the battery will be charged to a higher SOC % when it enters absorption phase and the absorption phase will be proportionally longer.

In terms of SOC% monitoring, the MultiPlus inbuilt battery monitor has limitations, so purchase a dedicated BMV if you have a need for more accuracy.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

That seems to be an awfully old whitepaper (who knows, the way dates are shown globally), but I suspect it's irrelevant to modern Multi's. Doesn't apply to mine anyway, re bulk time vs abs. And I'd complain if it did.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic