question

kortas avatar image
kortas asked

CANbus interface for BMS, transparent ETH-CAN bridge (=Venus GX)?

Hello,

is there a way how to send and receive CAN messages via Venus GX from/to remote server?

I think that it should be doable via root access to Venus and writing a bridge (e.g. in Python) to send some range of CAN messages to remote server and vice versa.

As a BMS developer I would like to use Venus as a bridge to administer and control the BMS (change parameters, read all cells, upgrade FW...). At the moment we are using USR ethernet bridge to UART to communicate with BMS from our server, but this requires additional ETH port (usually a switch then) and costs more and is more work to wire everything...

I do not want to write this complete thing from scratch - so I ask, maybe there is already something ready to use? I made quick search but have not found anything. Maybe some doc is already somewhere? or Venus GX programmers have something prepared for this purpose?

thank you for any hint on this

p.s. I can share our Python webserver which communicates to BMS clients and keeps connections. Maybe someting like this can be added to VRM portal

Petr

BMSVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hello Petr, I'll contact you by email.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fantail avatar image
fantail answered ·

It s not hard to use a dbus-Bridge to a socket that allows the sending of these parameters to the GX family , Victron have simple examples that you can modify. ( in py )

You can not currently do it via modbus or MQTT at this point int time.

But be aware that every victron update will almost certainly break you code. I have been changing the GX web pages as well but am getting sick of it - and looking for another way.

2 |3000