question

jex avatar image
jex asked

Bluetooth antenna, more range Smartsolar *

Is there a way to extend the range on the smartsolar controllers?
I live in little cabins with iron sheeting as outside walls the controllers is hanging in the first cabin and I can't reach it from the second cabin.

I have this little bluetooth amplifier where I soldered a piece of copper straight to the antenna trace on the board to act as antenna (in the right length for the 2.4 Ghz band). It greatly extended the range. But this will void my warranty I'd imagine doing this on the Smartsolar.

Another option would be to get it connected to the wifi somehow because this can be reached anywhere on my property. Are there any solutions for this?

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
brinx38 avatar image
brinx38 answered ·

Like you said, another option would be wifi.

To monitor the charge controller remotely, you could use a GX device such as Venus GX and associated VE.Direct cable.

You could also use a Raspberry Pi (cheaper option) and connect it to the the SmartSolar using this VE.Direct to USB cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jex avatar image jex commented ·

Thank you. I think I will go for the raspberry pi solution as I have one laying around.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

I believe you answered your own question as naturally any HW modification to any equipment voids warranties. Furthermore I understand the device has no serviceable parts, so even trying to open it will present a challenge.

May I propose you Bing bluetooth range extenders as with wifi that is also an option.

https://www.10machines.com/best-bluetooth-range-extenders/

2 comments
2 |3000

jex avatar image jex commented ·

thank you for your answer.
many devices have no serviceable parts, doesn't mean they can't be modified. I haven't opened my Smartsolar 100/50 yet and I know the Bluesolar version is hard to open cause the caps are potted to the case. But I see some screws on the Smartsolar that indicate the case can be taken of.

bluetooth range extender is an option but I'd like to keep the number of running devices to a minimum.

0 Likes 0 ·
duswami avatar image duswami commented ·

Have bluetooth boosters successfully worked with victron products?

0 Likes 0 ·
jex avatar image
jex answered ·

So got the whole VenusOS working on the rapsberry. Connected to the MPPT via a serial to usb. all worked first try flawless, very nice Victron!

Only thing is that in Victronconnect the thing shows up as VenusGX and I can't get into the nice interface of Victronconnect for the MPPT specificly. It just links to the portal or the local web interface.

2 |3000