question

billk avatar image
billk asked

Getting the output of two Quattro 5k hooked up in parallel to the distribution board

Can't find much information on the subject. My inverters are about 25 feet (7.5 meters) from the board. A friend who has lots of electrical experience but not with solar systems is suggesting I just run the same lengths of wire from L1, neutral, and ground of each inverter to the board. Then connect the L1s to each lug, put both neutrals under the neutral lug and connect the grounds to the bus bar. Is this the most effective way to get the power to where I can put it to work and make sure the inverters are happy at the same time?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

billk avatar image billk commented ·

Oh boy have I read that article and I've had my friend read it as well. We are confused about several things. First what is the advantage to taking the LI output of each inverter to its own bus bar rather than cutting them to the same length and running them to the distribution board? Taking the neutrals from each inverter, running them to a bus bar and then running one neutral to the distribution board makes sense. The grounds shouldn't matter since they only carry current when something goes wrong.

At anyrate, for me, that paper seems to be more theory and less application. I was hoping someone who has successfully connected their two inverters to a distribution board could tell me what they did to make their success happen.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ billk commented ·

Hi @BillK

Can you draw a simple diagram of what you're writing in your first post? I'm not sure what you mean exactly with it...

0 Likes 0 ·
billk avatar image billk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Be happy to do that but it will take a bit for me to find my crayons and/or colored pencils. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ billk commented ·

Ah just be sure to use Victron blue also!

0 Likes 0 ·
billk avatar image billk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Indeed, it is a lovely shade of blue to be sure. My friend saved me from embarassing myself since I operate at the level of stick figures when it comes to diagrams. He took an existing diagram and modified it to show what I tried to express in my original question. Hope it provides more information.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri billk commented ·
Hello @BillK

This is exactly what I was planning to do for a parallel setup until I read on this forum that I could exceed the neutrals' "CSA". The only major difference is that I'm dealing with 2 Quattros 10 KVA to create one single phase.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic