question

reginald-potts avatar image
reginald-potts asked

Venus GX Temp Sensor Open Circuit?

Hoping someone can help me figure out why temp sensor is showing open circuit.

I switched to a Cerbo unit 3 months ago as I wanted the extra temp sensor inputs, the Venus was working perfectly when I packed it away in it's box.

This week I have made up an 8s LFP 24V battery config with a 2.2 KVA Studer Inverter just for my 900W water pump as the house lights often dim when the pump starts up and it bugs the wife :-)

I thought I would make use of the Venus GX again so bought a SmartShunt and hooked everything up it's all working fine but... I have tried 3 different Victron temp sensors (the blue tag ones) and they all show 'open circuit' on both Temp 1 & 2 of the Venus? Thinking there might be a problem from the data already on the Venus from previous install I did a factory reset using the procedure in the manual with the latest swu firmware v3.41, that went okay but the temp sensor still shows as 'open circuit'. I have the red wire connected to Temp 1 (or Temp 2) and the black wire to GND, not sure what else to try it worked perfectly before with two sensors connected.

The temp sensor shows up in the remote console and VRM device list but no widget

Any help to diagnose much appreciated.

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Do you have the correct sensor, you state the blue tag ones, according to Victron pictures, the blue tag ones are the wrong type. See

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/temperature_sensors

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

reginald-potts avatar image
reginald-potts answered ·

Now you mention they are the temp sensors that came with RS450-100 units, referring to the RS manual

3.9.4. Temperature sensor. For temperature-compensated charging, the temperature sensor (supplied with the unit) can be connected. The sensor is isolated and must be fitted to the negative terminal of the battery. The temperature sensor can also be used for low temperature cut-off when charging lithium batteries (configured in VictronConnect).

Does that mean I can bolt it to the neg post of the battery and it will work with Venus GX device?

What a plonker I thought there are only two types, the yellow tags which need a pos connection used for BMV's and the blue tags that are generic. I can see now from the link you posted there are three types so if this doesn't work I need a generic sensor with no tag ASS000001000.

Thanks for the help.

2 |3000