question

fitmydashcam-ltd avatar image
fitmydashcam-ltd asked

Victron MPPT Passed PV Voltage to Battery

Hi All,

As the title says, I suspect a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/50 has passed PV voltage direct to the attached battery and subsequent system, causing a failure of the BMS, a very badly damaged battery with massively swollen cells, and also damage to other components such as lights etc.

The suspicion is backed up via data on the VRM portal whicho shows the MPPT output being close to 70V for a number of hours, and the SmartShunt also reporting the same.
This is all on a 12.8V system.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)
Is there anyone I can talk about this, to provide the data and images of the issue - as I think this will end up being a significant insurance claim.

fault
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@fitmydashcam_ltd you might want to upload some screen shots.

0 Likes 0 ·
fitmydashcam-ltd avatar image fitmydashcam-ltd klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

screenshot-2024-07-22-at-104753.jpg

screenshot-2024-07-22-at-104814.jpg

Exported direct from VRM.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ fitmydashcam-ltd commented ·

You have confirmed that the charger is actually set to 12V and not 48V.

There is a 10V difference between the PV voltage and the battery.

I would export settings and chart trends from the mppt itself. If it had a fault it would be reported there.

In any case, it sounds like you should open a support case as this is unlikely to be something the community can assist with.

0 Likes 0 ·
fitmydashcam-ltd avatar image fitmydashcam-ltd nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

As shown by the smartshunt data, there is almost no difference between the reported voltage at the MPPT input and the smartshunt.
I am trying to export, and get hands on the unit, but its in a different country - so a bit tricky at present.

I'll open a support case.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ fitmydashcam-ltd commented ·

If it is on VRM you can access the same data via VC app and the remote tab.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Faults with Victron equipment are best discussed directly with your dealer - this can be formalised with this support request form.