question

tian-van-der-bijl avatar image
tian-van-der-bijl asked

Victron Compatibility with Dyness Lithium Batteries

Good morning, hope everyone is well?

I am using a CCGX (with firmware version 2.33) to try and connect to two Dyness B4850 lithium batteries. According to the battery supplier, Victron and Dyness are compatible but I cannot seem to get the CAN communication between the two up and running. As a result the batteries are continuously going into protection mode because charge from the 3kW Multiplus and the BlueSolar 150/35 is not regulated by the CCGX.

Are the two products compatible and if so, what can I do to get them working together?

Thank you in advance.

Lithium BatteryCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
tian-van-der-bijl answered ·

Good afternoon all, hope you are well?

I have good news on this question: I was able to sort the issue out using a self-made communications cable as I was unable to secure a ready-made unit from the supplier. These cables are available, but due to time constraints I opted for creating a cable using the network pinout below. (I know that Victron recommends ready-made and tested cables - and again it is proven why!)

The battery side is a normal Type B Network pinout.

The inverter side (if the image is not clear enough) is Orange/White --> Green/White --> Orange --> Then short Green and Brown/White [I made them 6mm shorter than the rest of the wires and soldered them together] --> Brown --> Blue --> Blue/White.

Under SERVICES the following settings in the CCGX were done:

• Modbus/TCP - Enabled
  • CAN-bus Profile - CAN-bus BMS (500 kbit/s)

The battery appeared immediately in the Device list and I was able to view device information and SoC easily from the color controller. Please ensure that the Firmware of the battery is updated to the latest version - the installed batteries has v200.0 on them according to readings on the CCGX.

I do need to mention the following though - I am using Dyness B4850 batteries without DIP switches. Dyness is apparently working on a hardware update that will use DIP switches to select specific inverters and use a straight cable to connect. Hopefully in future this issue will be resolved permanently by this update.

Thank you for everyone's input on this matter. Please let me know if I may help out and if this was helpful in any way.

Kind regards.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin commented ·

Thanks for this feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Official tested and supported battery's:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

So if your battery supplier says they are compatible you should ask him how to get it working.

2 |3000

tian-van-der-bijl answered ·

@M.Lange Very much appreciated, thank you. I will get in contact with them again to get more information.

2 |3000

Barry Williams avatar image
Barry Williams answered ·

Hi Tian. Did you make any progress with your Dyness battery?

3 comments
2 |3000

tian-van-der-bijl avatar image tian-van-der-bijl commented ·

Hey Barry, nothing yet but I am going to the site this week with the cable that Dyness can supply to test. I will let you know as soon as I have any news.

0 Likes 0 ·
Barry Williams avatar image Barry Williams tian-van-der-bijl commented ·

Hi Tian. I am hoping that you are having more success than i am with the Dyness? Please let me know the progress you have made?

0 Likes 0 ·
tian-van-der-bijl avatar image tian-van-der-bijl Barry Williams commented ·

Hey Barry, we were able to sort the issue out. If you check above I added a detailed pinout for the network cable, as well as a summary of the steps taken. Please let me know if you need more assistance.

0 Likes 0 ·
Barry Williams avatar image
Barry Williams answered ·

Good afternoon all. I have connected a Dyness Powerbox 9.6kWh and am failing to get the CCGX to recognise the battery. The suppliers insist that i have been supplied the correct UTP cable. Any suggestions as to what the settings in "SERVICES" should be?

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Again, this batteries are not officially compatible. Get in touch with your supplier or directly with Dyness.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Barry Williams

At the very least you need to know what speed you need to set the CANbus (usually 500kbps), but as M.Lange mentioned:

Your battery supplier needs to tell you what settings to use, this is -very- important, as with the wrong settings you can destroy your batteries, or worse...

So please ask your supplier, and when you have an answer, please also post here for other users to learn.

0 Likes 0 ·
gustavo-rocha avatar image
gustavo-rocha answered ·

Dyness -> Victron

2.png (47.6 KiB)
2 |3000

mike-moody avatar image
mike-moody answered ·

Hi all

Anyone used the Dyness Powerbox lately with Victron and had successful

CAN communication with the GX device after the issues reported last year above ?

Thanks.

2 |3000

spark88 avatar image
spark88 answered ·

So I've just got a new Dyness Powerbox (9.6 kWh) and it has dip switches.

According to the manual, the default dip switch (0010) should work with Victron, but alas using a standard cat 5 cable it did not.

I made up a cable as per above, and I can see the battery now.

1 comment
2 |3000

lawrence-1 avatar image lawrence-1 commented ·
Any chance that the above can also work with Dyness B3? Tried it out with 10 batteries in parallel but nothing is showing on Cerbo GX
0 Likes 0 ·