question

kevingeerts avatar image
kevingeerts asked

multiplus and LifePo4

So we have a Multiplus 12 | 3000 | 120 - 16 | 230/240V on board and we would like to switch from AGM batteries to lithium (lifePo4) batteries.

If I look at the manual I read the following:
Battery type: The standard setting is the most suitable for Victron Gel Deep Discharge, Gel Exide A200, and tubular plate stationary batteries (OPzS). This setting can also be used for many other batteries: e.g. Victron AGM Deep Discharge and other AGM batteries, and many types of flat-plate open batteries. Four charging voltages can be set with DIP switches. With VEConfigure the charge algorithm can be adjusted to charge any battery type (Nickel Cadmium batteries, Lithium-ion batteries)

I only read Lithium-ion and not LifePo4, does that mean that our multiplus cannot handle lifePo4 batteries?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Lithium iron phosphate are a type of lithium ion battery, as are many other lithium chemistries lithium ion is the umbrella term, they can have different charge voltages and the Victron equipment is fully flexible when using the VEConfigure software. The Victron equipment will work with lithium iron phosphate, Victron's own Smart Lithium batteries are lithium iron phosphate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Multiplus is perfectly capable of taking good care of Lifepo4. Its one of the safest Li bats as due to its chemical composition as it cant really catch fire or go bum. Update multi to latest firmware and set up according to manufacturers instruction. Check with Victron which makes are currently supportet so there are no issues.

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

To be very precise: It is LiFePO4, means the "O" is big for oxygen. Otherwise it would be Po = Polonium. You don't want Polonium in your batteries... ;-) ;-)

2 |3000

Related Resources