question

denzel avatar image
denzel asked

Grid Code selection "South Africa"

Good Day,

How can i get the Grid Code Selection for South Africa on my Multiplus ?

grid
1569950743429.png (29.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Update the Multiplus’ firmware to 460 (or later), and you’ll be able to select NRS097 grid code for South Africa.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

denzel avatar image denzel commented ·

Hi,

I did the update but heres what i get when trying to select South Africa,

0 Likes 0 ·
error.png (66.1 KiB)
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan denzel commented ·

If it’s not the new Multiplus II then you’ll need to select a different grid code as the old multi doesn’t have the grid relays built in. You would be able to choose UK, or other

0 Likes 0 ·
georgebester avatar image georgebester commented ·
I updated firmware to v 500 still error 11
0 Likes 0 ·
bambazonke avatar image
bambazonke answered ·

Living in Zimbabwe is a challege in itself

i purchase a 48/3kva 220v unit with panels etc from a South Africa dealer all ok till i did the upgrade and now iam am getting the same problems and the unit wont change over to mains and make a relay rattles sound , service from 2 dealers in South Africa is shocking i am about to cut my losses and buy a good chinese brand , face book and other social media events can make life very difficult for the victron service , i suggest they get up to speed design some basic stuff that works

very un happy

3 comments
2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

@Bambazonke, please could you provide more info with regards to this install? Which model Multiplus do you have, and which assistants are you running? Other equipment, like energy meters or MPPT’s?

0 Likes 0 ·
denzel avatar image denzel commented ·

@Bambazonke Not changing over from mains is not a grid selection issue. Can you post some screen shots from youtr VE Config ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Please share more information so we can help.

0 Likes 0 ·
Gerrit avatar image
Gerrit answered ·

Only the Multiplus II that has built in anti islanding can be used for the south African grid code standard. The normal Multiplus is not equipped with internal anti silanding and therefore u can only use grid code "other".

1 comment
2 |3000

georgebester avatar image georgebester commented ·

As per brochures : for a short period of time this product Multiplus was called MultiGrid-II.

so this multiplus must be with anti islanding

Only the Multiplus II that has built in anti islanding can be used for the south African grid code standard. The normal Multiplus is not equipped with internal anti silanding and therefore u can only use grid code "other".

0 Likes 0 ·
georgebester avatar image
georgebester answered ·

Hi

I have a Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 product id 2623 running firmware 500 , serial no HQ1918U9F4l and cannot find out whether it has this anti islanding thing built in.

I keep getting ve bus error 8/11 reports phase l1 device 1 (0) #79 0x800805 errors

In some versions of Multiplus they have a switch for ground relay on or off so As per other posts

" To make the external ground relay work, you need to set the Ground relay check box and then select external ground relay, SW1 ON.

Clearing the checkbox will disable any ground relays, neither internal nor external ground relay will work without the box checked.

The switch chooses which ground relay, either internal ground relay or external ground relay."

BUT

in my Mplus despite removing the cover i do not see this switch anywhere

However

There is an option on the long green adapter for an

Ext
GRD
Relay

in the Manual

"Special note regarding NRS-097 (South Africa) Page 6 Product Description MultiPlus-II GX 1. The maximum allowed impedance of the network is 0.28Ω + j0.18Ω 2. The inverter is fulfilling the unbalance requirement in case of multiple single phase units only when a GX device is part of the installation."

There are some here that write about creating a N to PE link

open-with-neutral.jpeg

ground-relay-errors.png

there is also talk about the steps to take to trouble shoot

see attached

trouble-shoot-ground-relay.png

Some also suggested it may be neg and line swapped - I disconnected line and tried to restart MP11 but this sent me down a rabbit hole of whether MP11 can start off battery alone. Apparently it should be able to but not here - probably due to natteries being to low (29V) - however i see that >12 v will start a mp11 .

Not keen to swap the obviously red L and black N wires.

So after many days of endless Victron drama still cant use this expensive system for what it is supposed to do .

Cant see why this system cant just work out of the box

Hybrid all in one system is looking more attractive especially considering on how much this " System " has cost so far.

Lets not talk about a non existent 5 year Victron warranty on a MPPT that stopped working and I had to buy another.

48v

Victron lynx distributor

Victron lynx power in

Victron lynx shunt

Mppt 150/80/vcan

Multiplus 11 230 5kw

Current sense

3 optimisers

12v 200ah agm gel = 48v – need to replace as soon as system, working with lithium

112 current sense

Fuses cut off switches etc

Critical loads circuit

Bypass switch

Dump load – geyser into 1.5 kw geyserwise

12 v pump

Current sense

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Ground relay errors almost always are bad wiring in the house or on a load. A good sparky can usually trace it. On new installs this should be thoroughly tested before handover.

I had one where the neutral had worn through in ducting and had gone to ground. Took the system down every time grid returned.

0 Likes 0 ·
georgebester answered ·

thanks nick but all the ac out are disconnected l and neutral . only the earth is still connected

2 |3000

georgebester answered ·

As per brochures : for a short period of time this product Multiplus was called MultiGrid-II.

so this multiplus must be with anti islanding

Only the Multiplus II that has built in anti islanding can be used for the south African grid code standard. The normal Multiplus is not equipped with internal anti islanding and therefore u can only use grid code "other".

2 |3000

georgebester answered ·

Steps to take: Step 1: Make sure that the units have been updated to the latest firmware version. There have been various VE.Bus error 11 related improvements in the firmware. This may correct the error, and if it does not, it will provide additional information to assist troubleshooting.

Updated to v500

Step 2: Verify that system is properly wired to your installation and your local codes. Remember to check the earth connection on the unit AC input. Earth should be grounded according to your local grid rules. Do not connect Earth to Neutral in the unit itself.

neutral not connected to earth in unit only at service input

Step 3: Disconnect the L and N wiring from the ACout terminals on each inverter/charger. Which, in case of a parallel or three phase system, isolates the ACout connections for each unit. If the system then starts normally there might be a problem with a connected load (e.g. a leakage between load, neutral and ground).

done that no difference still error 11

Step 4: Check your Neutral-out connection. In most cases there should be no external connection between ACin-Neutral to ACout-Neutral, or to Earth

no continuity detected 

Step 5: Neutral and line input might be inverted. Check the input connections, swap them if needed and retry. In this case, “Failing step: 8” will show.

Swapped the N and L no difference still error 11

Must be faulty relay on Multiplus - ie warranty claim

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic