question

treadlite avatar image
treadlite asked

Private hosted VRM

Any chance Victron would make it available to download VRM so it could be hosted locally? I love the interface, but may not always have internet

VRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

Victron Supported Options for sites without internet have been long discussed, and are in the R&D stage. The ability to have exactly like VRM yourself is not possible for now, perhaps one day.

If you are feeling adventurous though, there are some excellent tools available right now. It will require some research and efforts on you behalf. Here is a good place to start:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/26861/looking-for-collaborators-for-victron-grafana-proj.html

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

treadlite avatar image treadlite commented ยท

awesome, thanks. I have done a few projects using these tools, I will see what I can do to contribute

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ treadlite commented ยท

Hi @treadlite, have you been able to get it up and running? if you allow me :-), I do have one major whish wrt that project, and thats a better readme with screenshots and other information aimed at how to use the tool.

For many people, they don't have any idea what to expect (they're not familiar with Grafana) and are overwhelmed with tech stuuf about mqtt, influx, docker, which are all quite irrelevant when it comes to simply using the tool to analyse a system.

Or perhaps even a users guide or introduction. not in the readme. Including screenshots of the backend etc.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ยท

Hi, as an addition, we now have this short introduction & install video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IkNuadRbANA

2 |3000

robtor avatar image
robtor answered ยท

Will there be an self hosting option for VRM one day? I really like the interface of it, although I'm very satisified with the grafana solution.

I just wanted to ask wheter there is planned something like that.

5 comments
2 |3000

It's still possible someday, but considering the team that would be required is working so hard on the cloud hosted version, and Grafana is already in place as a self-hosted solution it's not likely.

Perhaps a quicker way would be for the Grafana users to recreate a Victron style theme that looks and behaves more like VRM?

It is very flexible like that, but there is still a steep learning curve in the beginning to get all the common elements displayed. I would love to see more of the custom dashboards, and shared JSON code in the Modifications space.

0 Likes 0 ยท
dunnp avatar image dunnp Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Hi Guy

How would like this to happen (sharing Grafana screenshots and JSON files)? I'm happy to share a couple of projects I'm dabbling with, but a bit unsure how best to do it. Just put it as a question in the Modifications space and flag it as a non-question?

It's a great idea for knowledge sharing! I am always keen get inspiration to learn some tricks from what others have done.

Cheers

Phil

0 Likes 0 ยท

Hi @dunnp

I think a good way to start would be go to the modifications space, and then create an article. (Articles and ideas are not enabled in the default Questions and Answers space):

This shortcut should do the trick - Create an article in the Modifications Space

How to get there:

cleanshot-2020-11-09-at-170400.jpg

cleanshot-2020-11-09-at-170407.jpg

0 Likes 0 ยท
dunnp avatar image dunnp Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks Guy. I didn't know about that one! I'll put some stuff together once I get some decent screenshots.

Phil

0 Likes 0 ยท

Love to see it @dunnp

0 Likes 0 ยท
robtor avatar image
robtor answered ยท

Thank you for your quick reply @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I really admire the hard work and the great efford the victron team puts onto the VRM and all other products. Because I'm studying applied computer science I can roughly imagine how much work has to be done to get the vrm portal as good working as it does.

The mainly reason why I was asking this question was because I had some problems storing long term statistics with grafana itself. I created a cheap solution with node-red, previously with a simple python script, which stored daily statistics in a mysql database, but I wasn't really satisfied with my solution, the vrm is way more better ;)

I just played around with venus os and read through the things like vrmlogger.py and so on and thought about forwarding the logging packets to my own server and analyze them.

For this reason, will the vrm and the logging service maybe become opensource someday? Not the way there's a fully supported and explained variant for self hosting, but maybe with the source and the understanding of the api behind vrm I could build my own small vrm server?

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks @robtor I will speak on behalf of the team to say we appreciate the recognition.

At an API level, interfacing with VRM is already fairly well documented here - https://docs.victronenergy.com/vrmapi/overview.html

How far that documentation extends to your offline application, I am not sure.

In any event, I have more to say, but this level of discussion certainly now belongs in the Modifications space, so perhaps ask your further questions there.

0 Likes 0 ยท
robtor avatar image robtor Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Thank you I will create a post there later

0 Likes 0 ยท