question

dustdevyl avatar image
dustdevyl asked

Multiplus II 5kVA showing temperature alarm on LED display

As of yesterday evening i noticed that my units fan seemed to be running more often than before. This morning when running the geyser (about 3.5kW) i noticed that the red temperature LED came on after a few minutes. It has never done this before and i never had any issues heating the geyser with this unit before.

As soon as i switch off the load (or pretty soon afterwards) the warning LED goes off again. The fan is running hard when it does this but unit does not feel 'hot' to the touch although the air coming out of the unit seems a little warmer. Ambient temperature is about 20 degrees. Nothing that the unit hasnt seen before.

All signs point to some sort of overheating, i think. Would there be anything i can do/check myself or do i need to get the installer involved? Any suggestions?

Multiplus-IITemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Please contact your dealer, with the same information.

That should resolve it, but please report back if they are unable to help you with specific information about this error for this model.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adrianc avatar image
adrianc answered ·

My Multiplus II 5kVA started doing the same thing about 3 weeks before it completely failed. See my post. The unit completely failed 6 weeks after installation with a temperature warning followed by a temperature alarm and overload. At the time the load was only 200W.

Victron, since my failure and chatting to a few others, this type of failure with the Multiplus II 5kVA does not seem to be unusual (see this post for another failure reported). There has clearly been a problem with this model. Do you know if it has been resolved and what the issue was/is?

My replacement unit so far is stable and has been running for 1 month with no temperature warnings.

3 comments
2 |3000

dustdevyl avatar image dustdevyl commented ·

Thanks Adrian, my unit has been running for 3 months now without any issues. I did see your post but was hoping the issue was/is unrelated. We will see. With your unit did the temperature warning come on with a progressively lower load over time? I have been extremely careful not to go over the 4,000W maximum output i was told about but will have a serious dig through the VRM data now. The temperature warning has only come on over the last few days when i switch on the geyser with its 3kW element. As soon as i switch the geyser off it more or less resets itself. Havent let it run yet to shutdown.

0 Likes 0 ·
adrianc avatar image adrianc dustdevyl commented ·

Once the temp alarm started it was intermittent and not always related to a high load (most times I am running under 2000W). Looking back at the logs, It did get progressively worse and was alarming with very low loads. When I first saw the alarm I felt the unit and it did not feel hot to touch so I assumed it was just a caution but was puzzled because the load was fairly low at the time. It then carried on with this intermittent temp warning until a sudden failure in the middle of the night with only 200W load.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dave Herder avatar image Dave Herder adrianc commented ·

I'm experiencing a similar issue on a Multiplus II. Did you get a resolution?

0 Likes 0 ·