question

Tom avatar image
Tom asked

Victron Alternator charging Li Ion Video

I found the new Victron Video on charging Li Ion Batteries very interesting and helpful, but still it was not clear if using a lower amp charger like the Victron 25 amp Buck Boost Converter will help protect an alternator from over heating and burning up due to low resistance of Li Ion batteries?

I have a MB Sprinter with a 220 amp alternator. MB limits charging to 40 amp from what I have learned. I am not in need for fast charging of my 24 volt 400 AH battery so I think 25 amps from the Victron Buck Boost Converter while driving and 20 amps from PV would be sufficient. I just want to be sure the Buck Boost or new Orion unit will keep my alternator from burning up.

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

`Hi, yes, the Buck Boost or the new Orion can be used to prevent overloading the alternator.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

Thank you. I will wait to see what the new Smart Orion offers

0 Likes 0 ·
wikel avatar image
wikel answered ·

I believe you'd need some type of temp monitor current control. This could either be native on the alternator or through the 3rd party device pulling the current. Something needs to tone down the current if the heat of the alternator goes up due to lack of sufficient cooling during low RPM.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic