question

jhass1 avatar image
jhass1 asked

Battery SOC number on VENUS GX not updated by PV array but is by generator.

I have a Multiplus 24/5000/120 with 4xPylontech UP2500 and a MPPT Smartsolar 150/60 and a VENUS GX. The MPPT and the VENUS GX have both been updated with latest firmware. When I use VICTRON Connect app to see what’s going on I note that the battery SOC is NOT updated , in a positive way, when using the PV array to charge however ir does reduce the SOC according to the load drawn. If I switch the Multiplus on and off the SOC updates. The SOC is, strangely, updated on the VENUS GX when the generator is running. This is a problem as I have the gx programmed to start the generator when the SOC falls to a certain level and at the moment that would happen when the SOC is in fact muchhigher becaise of the input charge from the PV. Yikes! Any help much appreciated. John

MPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGXSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi John. This is typical of older Multi firmware. Updating it (with a MK3 adaptor) may well solve it. What are you running?

I'm not familiar with the Pylon kit, re whether it can provide & passthrough SOC to the GX, but I suspect the SOC you're looking at is a Victron one.

There's a Battery Monitor section in the GX where SOC source can be selected too. May be relevant, but it doesn't do much with old Multi firmware..

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhass1 avatar image jhass1 commented ·

John, thanks for the answer. My multi firmware is 2614158. I am about to update to 2614159 and if that doesn't do anything will go for 2614460. I haven't seen the section in the GX where you can select the SOC source - will check again. Here's hoping!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jhass1 commented ·

Yeh, I have a system still on 158, and can confirm what you see. But I don't need SOC, so became "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My heart tells me 159 won't be enough, but I'm surely interested in how you go.

Go Settings > System setup > Battery monitor in the GX. It's likely on 'Automatic' default, but wouldn't it be nice if the Pylon's bobbed up there? Can't comment..

Good luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
jhass1 avatar image jhass1 jhass1 commented ·

John, just for your interest the update to 159 did not make any difference so I did it again to 460 and it did work !

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jhass1 commented ·

Thanks for the feedback mate. One day when I'm bored I might touch mine up too. Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
bvermeiren avatar image
bvermeiren answered ·

I have the same setup Multiplus 24v-5000-100-120 and MPPT but everyone says that Pylontech UP2500 - 2.8KW is for powering homes more for Data centers ? Our House has the normal stuff, aswell pool and water pump, ridge and freezer, etc ... how do you run your batteries ? good ? I´m think to buy some instead our OPZS batteries and it out there life span. Thanks for letting me know how your systems works and if you can work your BMS to the VE-Bus to see your Percentage.

2 |3000

Related Resources