question

fvjuke avatar image
fvjuke asked

Smart BMS 12/100 slow charge

Desperately needing help!

I have 2 Victron 330ah batteries charging via Smart BMS 12/100 with 80 amp fuse.

While driving or idle, I never get more than 40 amp charging (in the app, it says around 50% of alternator power) From my Promaster 2020 with 220 amp alternator. Never went higher,

Why don’t I see around 70 amp of charging?

I have seen a few posts with similar issues, but never a clear answer.

Thx, I really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

battery chargingBMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

Some possibilities:

- There is a DC-DC booster installed in between the alternator and the smart BMS.

- The wiring between the alternator - BMS - battery is to thin, reducing the current.

- The charge current settings in the smart BMS need to be changed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fvjuke avatar image fvjuke commented ·
See my answers below
0 Likes 0 ·
fvjuke avatar image
fvjuke answered ·

Thx for your input

There is no DC to DC booster in between the alternator and the BMS, and the cable was able to charge at 80 amps before the BMS was installed.

I will post a picture of the BMS charge settings when I get home, but I believe it was at 14.2v.

2 |3000

fvjuke avatar image
fvjuke answered ·

Ok, I can confirm:

- there are no DC-DC booster installed between the alternator and BMS

-the wiring coming from the alternator to the Smart BS is 4 awg size

-the charge current settings is set at 14.2v in the Smart BMS settings see picture below

What settings should be changed to what?

Any help would be appreciated :-)

img-1875.png

img-1884.pngimg-1874.pngImage Caption

img-1874.png (135.5 KiB)
img-1884.png (157.8 KiB)
img-1875.png (250.5 KiB)
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

So your images show that the alternator is at 14.43V and the battery is 14.19V measured at the BMS terminals. If you alternator would only supply 80A at 14.43V without the BMS, then adding the BMS will reduce the charge rate due to the extra resistance added to the charging circuit. You can not add resistance and expect the same performance. I suggest you try a larger control fuse because this will have a lower resistance and may help. Secondly, get your multimeter out when charging and measure the voltage drop from the stud on the alternator to the alternator stud on the BMS and from the battery stud on the BMS t the battery stud on the battery. If either of these shows any appreciable voltage drop then check the nuts are tight, the crimps are tight and consider larger cabling. On this type of circuit it is not the rating of the cable that is important, but the voltage drop and having larger cables will reduce voltage drop.

1 comment
2 |3000

fvjuke avatar image fvjuke commented ·
Ok, thx will give this a shot

I will relook at the terminals and screws and make sure everything is tight and try a 100 amp MEGA fuse.

These readings were when the battery was full.

When it is at say 80% SOC, it still does not charge at more than 45 amps. (With an 80 amp MEGA fuse)

0 Likes 0 ·