question

nbezanson avatar image
nbezanson asked

MPPT isn't learning SoC from BMV-712 over VE.Smart network?

I have a SmartSolar MPPT 7515 talking to a BMV-712 over Bluetooth. In the VictronConnect app, the MPPT says this:

VE.Smart networking

This product is configured for
VE.Smart networking and is
receiving the following data from
the network.

Battery voltage
Battery temperature

Why not SoC, too? I'd like to control the load output based on SoC rather than plain voltage.

They're also both VE.Direct connected to a CCGX, which is getting SoC from the BMV, but apparently not feeding it to the MPPT either.

It occurs to me that I could use the relay on the BMV to drive a load switch, which would accomplish the same thing. But it'd be nice, consider this a feature request, if the MPPT could do it too. (And as others have pointed out, this would allow the MPPT to measure consumption.)

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorSOC
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nbezanson avatar image nbezanson commented ·

Note to the above -- there is a way to have my cake and eat it too: Set the MPPT output to "always on", and then feed that output into a big power-switching relay, controlled by the BMV's (little 1A-max) relay, triggered by SoC. This would accomplish both the SoC-based switching and the MPPT-based consumption monitoring and graphing.

1 Like 1 ·
4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi,

I agree this is a good idea.

It would also be great to see a 30 day history of SOC inside VictronConnect, with just a BlueSmart MPPT and BMV-712.

Though as you said everything is working as expected for now.

The smart networking features, and Bluetooth on all devices are still quite new features.

I expect as time goes on that we will see more of these nice to have features come to that system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nbezanson avatar image nbezanson commented ·

I'm continually impressed by the features already built into these things -- Streetlighting just blows my mind. Adding even more is just a bonus!

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly answered ·

I love the idea of a history of 30 days or whatever period we can get just like the MPPT has the graph of input. Roll on the Victron guys!!!

Mick

2 |3000

etincelle-du-voyage avatar image
etincelle-du-voyage answered ·

HI!
And CURRENT also !!! If you have some loads continuously drawing some current (e.g. a fridge), the MPPT does not measure the correct current in the battery to know when it should switch states, so may remain in "bulk" or "absorbtion" too long...

1 comment
2 |3000

This feature is being actively developed.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-alan avatar image
alan-alan answered ·

Hi,

is there any progress on SoC transmission to VE.Smeart network? I use BMV-712, MPPT 100/30 and gel battery in my setup (camper van). When there is load MPPT raises voltage over 14.2V despite battery SoC is 100% and there is enough solar power to cover the load. It would be nice if MPPT respects float state of the battery and keep according maximal voltage (would just raise Amps).

Alan

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic