question

ehsab avatar image
ehsab asked

Long cable runs and connecting solarpanels to Quattro.

I'd like to get your thoughts on my planned installation, i have a couple of choises and would like your input.

I have a quite reliable grid (as of now, might be different in the future), but i have equipment that require uninterruptable power, and i plan on installing solar panels which i would like to use even when the grid dies.

So my goal is to be able to primarily use solarpower myself, secondary is to charge batteries if they need to and tiertiary sell excess power to the grid.
When the grid fails, i would like to continue to use solarpanels, when batteries reach a certain SoC i will start the generator which will take over until the grid comes back.

The setup would look something like this:

It will consist of three Quattro 5kVA in ESS mode (3 phase), one Venus GX, Lynx busbars and four 12V 190Ah in serie.

I will mount the panels on the ground for best angle and direction (roof is not well suited) and becouse of that i will have a long cablerun from the panels to my house.

That gives me two choises.

One: Run high voltage DC from panels to house.
Two: Convert to AC at the panels and run more expensive cable to my house.

What's my options for connecting the panels to my quattros and batterybank? I don't think either the Quattro nor any of Victrons MPPTs can take that high voltage?

It feels better to put all active equipment at the same locked place (my house) rather then having a DC to AC converter at the panels.

What's your recommendations?

Kind Regards

M

GeneratorSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Anita avatar image
Anita answered ·

Hi @ehsab,

First of all, how long is the long cable run?

Without that distance, I cannot make any recommendations yet.

Regards,

Anta

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ehsab avatar image ehsab commented ·

Thanks for replying. Its illustrated in the picture (100 meter).

0 Likes 0 ·
Anita avatar image Anita ehsab commented ·

Hi @ehsab,

Apologies, I didn't see the 100m in the picture, since it is written very small.

OK your question is very similar to the one about AC Coupling that @Wilhelm1987 asked a couple of weeks ago. His distance is just a bit shorter @ 80m.

Please see his post & my response for more details: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/27685/ac-coupling-and-three-phase.html

See if that answers your questions. If not, then let me know, then I can try and help.

Good luck,

Anita

0 Likes 0 ·
ehsab avatar image ehsab Anita commented ·

Thank you very much, i did read the post you linked to and i got some answers.

I'm not sure i understand how MPPTs would work in my setup. I would like to start small with only lets say 3kW of solarpanels, but still invest in a larger inverter (say Fronius Symo 12) or MPPT's i can grow with. Without buying and replacing hardware.

I guess if i go with MPPTs i need to match the 48V my Quattros is using, both input and output of the MPPTs?

If i go with a GTI (say Fronius Symo 12.5-3 480) which has an operating voltage rate at 200-1000V, can i then connect all my panels in series (as long as it stays under 1000V) and hook it up to ACout on the Quattros?

Or how should one think?
I'm trying to optimise my setup for financial reasons (TCO).

0 Likes 0 ·
ehsab avatar image ehsab Anita commented ·

Hi Anita, perhaps you missed my reply?

Hope you have a nice weekend.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop