question

mrviridis avatar image
mrviridis asked

48V Quattro 50 AMP RV w/solar, advice requested?

Community,

I'm most of the way thru installing in a 2021 Keystone Fuzion 429. 50AMP shore & Onan 5500 generator. So, I put up four 550W bifacial solar panels, ran them to a solar panel breaker box, split two panel to each of a 150/70 Victron MPPTs, to two Lynx Distributor, Cerbo, Global link, talking to Touch 70, smart battery protect to Orion 48V to 12V to feed the existing 12v batteries and four 51.2V batteries off Lynx power in for the 48V side. I'm left with the 48V Quattro and replacing the existing auto transfer switch with it. Anyone have experience with removing a plain ATS one for one with the Quattro? I've seen many people doing dual Quattros over concerns of having limited shore power combo with solar and wanting to maintain 240V all the time. I only went with one Quattro because the dual AC in and out should run everything fine. I'd appreciate critiques, advice, wiring diagram. Any input to this rig. A lot of people have Multiplus II and other combos that aren't applicable with the Quattro lay out. Much appreciated before the final step here.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger48v battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I'm assuming in your current setup, your ATS simply selects Generator or Shore. You'd simply move the inputs to the ATS to the Quattro; HOWEVER, your generator is likely two poles of in-phase 120V, and your 50A shore is split phase input.

The Quattro does not have "dual AC out" per se. It has AC1 out and AC2 out, but when active, they are simply connected with a contactor and in phase with each other.

The Quattro can only accept 120V input and it can only output 120V.

You have a problem to solve:

When inverting you'll only get 120VAC out. To power the whole trailer, you have to supply L to L1 and L2 of the panel for 120V on each leg but 0V between.

When on 15A/30A shore or generator, you're good.

When on 50A shore, you can only connect L1 to the inverter and must leave L2 disconnected.

When on shore, you're limited to 50A @ 120V.

You've cut your available power in half even on 50A shore. If this is okay with you, you're good.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrviridis avatar image mrviridis commented ·
Thank you for answering, so, one this is why I see a number of people doing two quattros, but I appear to have gotten not quite accurate info from the rep that sold my equipment. I understood that when on battery power I'd only have one 120VAC. It's seems your saying that with the quattro instead of my OEM ATS, that even on 50A shore I'm only going to have 1 of my 2 120VACs? That's a real downgrade. Do you suggest a solution, means of running the ATS and the quattro to keep both ACs on shore, or to have a not too much hassle connecting the generator only when needed. I'm not super pumped to buy a second quattro and I've heard some cons to that as well.
0 Likes 0 ·
rwall1016 avatar image rwall1016 mrviridis commented ·

There is still quite a lot of power available with 120vac at 50amp, if you don't have any 240v loads you very likely can stay with just that. 4800 watts continuous.

One option, which I did on my rv because it came with only a 30amp 120v setup, was put a subpanel in before the inverter after a 50amp ats. So shore and generator feed an ats that feeds a subpanel, that subpanel then feeds the multiplus and other unimportant loads (electric water heater, second AC, etc), the multiplus then feeds the rv factory wiring.

That setup gets full use of your shore, but definitely leaves some things unpowered from the inverter and also wastes the secondary input on the quattro. (Perhaps use the quattro second input setup for a smaller inverter-gen if needed?)

If your onboard gen isn't too massive, that could be useful. Leave your factory multi-stage charger connected to the subpanel and you could have onboard gen plus an inverter-gen both fully utilized if you needed to rapid charge and run ACs.

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler mrviridis commented ·

I have dual Quattros in split phase in an off-grid scenario.

You can still have 120V power to both side of the trailer, it's just jumpered like it is when you plug into 30A shore. When on 30A shore with L, N and G; L is connected to both L1 and L2 on the trailer's umbilical.

You didn't indicate if you have it, but there is also the Quattro 2x120. This unit is designed specifically to switch back and forth from 15/30A and 50A shore power. When on 15/30A shore (single phase) or inverting, you get the same 120V on BOTH legs just as you would when plugged into 15/30A shore power with no inverter present. The inverter can charge from the incoming AC, and it passes through the shore power to all loads. The inverter can PowerAssist on both "legs" since everything is at 120V.

When on 50A shore (120/240V split phase), you get both legs passed through to the panel. It will only charge from the L1 leg, and it can only PowerAssist on the L1 leg.

0 Likes 0 ·