question

thembones avatar image
thembones asked

Bass Boat LiFePo4 monitoring

Purchased two LifePo4 12v 100AH batteries. They are not connected to each other in any way, one is for graphs, one is for trolling motor.

It think the Victron smart shunt is the way to go.

It looks like there are two 500 Amp smart shunts, I can't tell the difference between the two other than the pictures look different.
I see: Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth)
and: Victron Energy SmartShunt IP65 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth)

I need to be able to
1. see charge on both batteries via bluetooth app

2. i would like to be able to have the round screen they sell at the front of the boat so all I have to do is look down to see the trolling motor battery life.

Which unit do I need?

monitoring
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The IP 65 is waterproof. But see @Justin Cook's reply.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

If you need the dedicated screen, you'll need the BMV-712 (x2, it sounds like) rather than either of the SmartShunts - there is no display option for the SmartShunt other than the app or a GX device.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thembones avatar image thembones commented ·
I was hoping to do Bluetooth for both and just a screen for trolling
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ thembones commented ·
So then a BMV-712 for the trolling battery, and either a SmartShunt or a SmartShunt IP65 for the other battery; the difference between the SmartShunts is the IP rating, so whether you'll need the IP65 rating just depends on where you'll be mounting the unit - that part will be up to you!
0 Likes 0 ·
thembones avatar image thembones Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
First thank you

second, i may have mis-read i thought one shunt could do two batteries?

i really only NEED the trolling motor right now.

thank you again

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ thembones commented ·
One shunt gives full monitoring of one bank. And voltage monitoring of a second bank, so long as there's a common earth/ground/neutral.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic