question

Scottrgrewe avatar image

starter battery connection to shunt

On an old battery monitor the start battery was wired to the load/charge side. I installed bmv 700 and kept the connections the same. Is this correct? It seems like it would be best to connect both batteries to battery side, and all load/charging sources to the other.

monitoring
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes you are correct. all batteries should go to the battery side, otherwise you cannot see the charge or discharge current coming from or going to the batteries.

3 comments Share
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

You generally want to monitor one battery bank, not 'house battery' and starter battery combined, so you only put shunt between one battery bank and rest of the system.

This will depend on what customer wants and how there system works. Ie in a Boat as a example

there is usually a battery 1, both , battery 2, Off selector switch.

so when both is selected then you want to see total amps going into both batteries.

if 1 is selected then total amps to that battery and select 2 the same.

Voltage will not be afected and you can still see Bank 1 or Bank 2s voltage on a BMV-702 or BMV-712 (unless you have both selected on the selector switch, then voltages are the same)

I have never heard of such in installation..it's a battery monitor to monitor a battery, and some models have an extra input to monitor another batteries - voltage - not SOC

I would never advice to put the starter battery on the same shunt unless you'd just want to use the BMV to measure total current.