question

jubal48 avatar image
jubal48 asked

Tesla battery, MultiPlus and firmware updates?

Is there anyway to contact Victron Support directly? I bought the MultiPlus through Amazon. Victron wants support to go through dealer. I sent an email to Victron and got a reply that email ls was being forwarded to the dealer. I need a firmware update to make charging a Tesla battery compatible with MultiPlus. My concern is getting the right firmware update. I don't want to do more harm then good by installing the wrong update.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @jubal48, Amazon is not buying from us directly. On the documentation and details received from/via amazon, there is the name of the dealer that bought from us and sold it to you over Amazon.

They’re equipped for support & can help you.

The official end-user support channel for Victron equipment is via the dealer. There is no direct end user support by (us) Victron itself. You can also contact your dealer via this form:

https://professional.victronenergy.com/support/

For the firmware update:

I recommend to wait until late next week; then install VictronConnect and use that for the firmware update: we’ll release 5.9 next week; and it then ships with latest firmware included. No need for you to go look yourself.

Beware: all your settings will be reset to default. So make notes before hand - make sure you know what you’re doing. For more help, contact a trained installer or dealer for (paid) help.

Documentation here:

https://docs.victronenergy.com/victronconnect-vebus.html

You’ll need a USB-MK3 for fw update and changing settings.

Success! Matthijs

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Meine_Energiewende avatar image Meine_Energiewende commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff): is there any news about a patch for lowering the 4 Volts restart delta für Multiplus II and Tesla Batteries (48 Volts System)? Would be nice to be able to set it to 40 Volts -> so i can use my batteries 80% DOD.

Thanks

Jens

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

The info from @mvader is helpful to know.

I am using the Multiplus 24/3000 50-70 no problem to charge my two Tesla modules in my RV. I just had to custom set the charge profile in the Victron Connect with the Mk3.

When it comes to Victron Support this Victron community is you best support option as your last reply is from the owner of the company I believe and he takes customer concerns a priority as I can tell. I sometimes wonder if the Victron staff spend all their free time on line helping others.

You can also post private comments to others on this forum to share direct contact information to others to keep contact information private since we do not have PM option on this platform.

If there was one thing to ask that would be a recommended Tesla charge profile page, but I doubt Victron would want to do this since Tesla is not their manufactured battery. I can understand that. I think Battle Born LiFePo4 battery profile is published directly from BB. Do not use the same BB charge profile for a Tesla as it is a different battery chemistry, but you can learn about the difference in a Li Ion charge profile set up compared to a lead Acid profile.

4 comments
2 |3000

jubal48 avatar image jubal48 commented ·

Thanks Tom, Your comments were very welcome, direct help from Victron is almost nonexistent. As you probably know Victron support only deals with sellers not end users. I bought my MultiPlus through Amazon and they sold it to me for another company. I was told by another user that Victron released a firmware update in July that fixes the Tesla problem by allowing you to build a custom charge profile. Through a lot of searching and reading I think I have found the update file I need. Old firmware ver. is 2712430.VFD the new ver. is 2712460.VFD, would like to get conformation that I am right before I jump off the cliff.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom jubal48 commented ·

I think you may be misinformed. Victron updated the Victron Connect software last month to allow the Multiplus 24/3000 and Quatro 48/5000 to lower the low voltage start up from 21.8 volts to 20.6volts in the Multiplus 24/3000. This was done for us users of the Inverter/chargers with Tesla batteries to have a wider usable voltage range. The Multiplus firmware had nothing to do with this improvement. I am sure next week's firmware update for the Multiplus will be a bonus.

I can assure you I use the Multiplus 24/3000 50-70 with my Tesla battery bank. I have my low battery shut down set at 18.6 volts and my charge set at 24.4 volts. The Multiplus will function down to 18.6 volts unless you shut it down. The Multiplus will require a minimum voltage of 20.6 volts to power on. I have my BMS to open my contactor at 19 volts as I do not want to run down to 18.6 volts. The other option is to set the low voltage shut down at 19 volts, but then the low voltage restart will be set at 21 volts. If you should not have enough voltage to restart you can plug the Multiplus into shore power or generator power or solar power to get over the 20.6 volt threshold depending how you have your system set up.

This is the limitation of the inverter at this moment, but I don't think there is any other programable inverter/charger on the market that can do any better. Basically you lose some of the Tesla battery output but the Tesla is not much useful under 20 volts anyway and 19 volts should be your limit. I am not even sure there is a basic 24 volt 3000 watt inverter on the market that does not shut down below 20 volts.

If you require a wider operations range you would have to build a 18650 battery as a 7s or stick with a LiFePo4 chemistry found in the Victron Li Ion or Battle Born Batteries.

What will you be using for your BMS? REC.com makes one compatable with the Tesla and it can communicate with the Multiplus. A less expensive option is the Electrodacus SBMS0 or SBMS40 as both of these have automation for individual cell sensing for low voltage shut down, over charge protection shut down and low temperature control of charging. As well as cell balancing.

If you are not capable of setting up this type of BMS automation, then the use of the Victron Li Ion with BMS added electronics or the Battle Born may be a better choice as the BMS engineering is already worked out for you.

0 Likes 0 ·
treejohnny avatar image treejohnny Tom commented ·

Hi Tom,

I am looking at changing my battery bank from 24v AGM to 2 or 3 Tesla modules and I am curious to the best BMS to use. Your link of REC.com did not yield a BMS? I know I can just Victron components for everything except the individual cell/string monitoring.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom treejohnny commented ·

Rec BMS is very good and integrates well with Victron equipment. With Tesla set ups with Multiple modules at 24 volts you will need a master and slave units. Cost will be upwards of $1000.

https://www.rec-bms.com/

Electrodacus SBMS0 is perfect for Tesla. It works with 3s to 8s Batteries. $160 CAD for one or $300 CAD for two. http://www.electrodacus.com/

This video shows how the Rec BMS connected to Victron Equipment. https://youtu.be/j8dWyNSwyqk

Tom

0 Likes 0 ·
nic7320 avatar image
nic7320 answered ·

I ran into the same issue, not being able to restart the Multiplus 24/2000 until 20.6 V. There's probably a reason for this on the Multiplus, but not all of Victron's 24V inverters need 20.6 V to restart.

So I added a Phoenix 24/375 inverter to handle all my small fulltime loads as it can go much lower to 18.6 V shutdown and 18.7 V recovery.

It's more efficient than the Multiplus, so that's a big win.

Right now, it's not connected to Cerbo, so it's treated as a DC system load. Anyone know how the Cerbo VRM software handles more than one inverter?

2 |3000