question

ajastrzebski avatar image
ajastrzebski asked

IP67 not outputting any amps

Hi,

I've had an IP67 25A charger connected to the house batteries in my camper van for 2 years now and it's always worked great. However, today I reconnected it after using the batteries and the charger doesn't seem to be sending any current output either in charger or power supply mode.

Batteries were at 12.4V before connecting and are remaining there. The app is showing the same voltage of 12.4 and a current of 0 Amp but says it is charging. Starts in bulk charge mode when I connect and then moves to absorption phase within a few minutes despite the voltage remaining unchanged and the output staying at 0 Amps.

I stared at the app display for a while and it occasionally shows output of 25 Amp just for a second then immediately drops back to 0. I have tried turning on the vehicle engine which also charged the batteries and this was successful at charging them with the voltage going up immediately so the batteries are accepting charge normally.

The charger was working normally just a few days ago. The only thing different I did in between was connect the charger to a new phone via the app but I can't imagine that doing anything.

Any thoughts? Is the charger dead? I don't believe there is any fuse I check. Thanks.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

Just a guess, but it sounds like an overcurrent problem to me, although at 12.4 any charger that is working should cope. Try putting it in PSU mode and attach a good sized 12V load, with the batteries disconnected... it should run the load at a constant voltage, if it doesn't it is likely faulty.

Is there a reset to factory defaults option? firmware update?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ajastrzebski avatar image ajastrzebski commented ·
Firmware is up to date.

In power supply mode with the 12v refrigerator turned there is still no current from the charger.

Are these known to fail early? Or just bad luck for me? It was exactly what I needed when I bought it so I'm tempted to buy the same model again if there's no reason to think it will fail again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image
Fideri answered ·
@AJastrzebski

If possible, claim warranty. And if you buying a new one, make sure you can claim the warranty, if that's an option.

I don't know the details.

F.

1 comment
2 |3000

ajastrzebski avatar image ajastrzebski commented ·
Thanks.

Didn't realize these have a 5 year warranty. I will make a claim through the selling dealer.

Andre

0 Likes 0 ·
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

I had a problem with a DC-DC smart charger a while back, randomly delivering output for a while and then dropping back to almost nothing. We were doing odd stuff with it and thought we may hade damaged the thing but replacing it with a dumber version, with identical wiring, worked just fine.

Not sure if we go a refund or not, I didn't buy it. Generally I expect Victron stuff just to work, and keep working, and I haven't been disappointed thus far...

Did you look to see if it has a full reset option?

2 |3000