question

triphase avatar image
triphase asked

Buckboost vs new smart (XS) buck-boost/orion

So I know this question was asked before, but it was years ago, and some of the technology has changed and new products released since.

I was trying to understand which is a better product/solution for charging lithium batteries from an alternator (lets just assume 100A input current/alternator load as an example). To keep this comparison simple, lets say we are charging 12V to 12V system.

Option1: Buckboost 100A (ORI300100000) - From what I can tell these are made in the Netherlands. The efficency numbers are not published, but it appears to have very good thermal management compared with Orion "Smart" products, and nice power input threaded studs to accept standard lugs. I know it does not support DVCC, VEdirect, or any other remote control other than on/off via enable line. It's programming tools are older and it does not have bluetooth. (from what I understand, not much worse than configuring a multiplus inverter with a PC). Less models are needed to cover a wide input voltage range. Cost is higher than option2

Option2: 2 parallel Orion XS Smart (BuckBoost) 50A units. Lets just say these are made "somewhere else" They support VE direct (not sure about DVCC?) They have better thermals than the old Orion TR30. Easy to configure with current tools (bluetooth/victronconnect). Appears to support more advanced charging algorithms. Has screw terminal block type connections and does not support crimped lugs (other than ferrules). Total Cost is lower than option1 (even for two units + additional interconnect required).

If you remove the ease of configuration (it only needs to be done once, and its really not that difficult to do) and price of purchasing the equipment from the decision process, which is a better product/solution for charging a large lithium battery bank (lets assume its a Lynx BMS/Cerbo integrated smartLithium system that does have DVCC capability, input voltage is 12V and battery bank is smartLithium 12V)?

I've heard some people say that the old BuckBoost has no trouble charging lithium systems, and others say its a poor solution with lack of charge profiles, and B2B smart chargers are better suited. From the outside, it looks like the Buckboost is a better product than OrionSmart in terms of quality. Can anyone from Victron provide a little more insight?

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smartbuckboostsmart buckboost
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers