question

philbertoni avatar image
philbertoni asked

Centaur charger with all lithium

I have a Centaur 24/60 battery charger and all FLA batteries - three banks. I'm thinking of drop-in replacing with LiFePO4's... Does anyone know if this charger can be set to correctly charge this chemistry if standardised across all banks? I've spoken to two Victron reps and neither have any idea. It would seem from the manual that the best option would be the GEL setting.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@philbertoni, the short answer is that yes, your Centaur will absolutely work with LiFePO4s; we have several customers using various models of Centaur with Battle Born drop-ins, Victron drop-ins, and several other brands of drop-in lithiums... which charge profile you select, however, will depend on which lithiums you end up purchasing.

Battle Born drop-ins, as an example, recommend a charging voltage between 14.2 and 14.6v, so the Lead-Acid setting (14.5v) will be perfect for maximizing your charge or, if you'd like to coddle your bank, you could also use the AGM setting (14.35) or the Gel setting at 14.2v if you reeeeally want to coddle the bank. Generally speaking, the Lead-Acid charge settings on most modern battery chargers actually work really well for LiFePO4 banks, though some customers want to use a lower profile (like the AGM or Gel settings) to maximize their cycles.

Bottom line: yes, you can keep your Centaur. Just decide which batteries you're going to purchase, look up the manufacturer-recommended charging voltage range, and then cross-reference to the "Charge Voltage" chart on page 8 of your manual, and select the charge profile that most closely matches your lithium specs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carl-n avatar image
carl-n answered ·

Battleborn drop in Lithium batteries say that charger temperature compensation should be disabled -- but there is no apparent way to do this for the onboard temperature sensing on a Centaur charger. Am I OK using the Centaur charger anyways because it won't be in any extreme temperature conditions so the voltage won't vary that much?

2 |3000