question

probitaille avatar image
probitaille asked

Quattro protection against over voltage on AC-Input

I have a Quattro 10 KVA, 120 AC, 48 Volt DC, installed in a mobile application. Due to the nature of this application, the inverter could be exposed to voltages ranging between 108 and 240 volts AC. According to the datasheet, the specified voltage range is between 90 and 140 VAC. I presume that the Quattro will disconnect itself from the grid if the voltage exceeds 140 VAC. My question is, would it be harmful to the inverter if it's exposed to 240 volts AC ?

gridquattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Anytime you expose an electrical component to voltages beyond its designed acceptance range, you run a very real risk of causing damage to the component, yes.

What is the nature of your application that could lead to such an event? There may be an available solution that would prevent it, depending on what the cause would be.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Asking for trouble to connect a 120V unit to 240V input. If this voltage is present when you try and start the Quattro it will reject it and not synchronise, but you are still exposing some of the circuitry to 240V.

If this is a very occasional fault condition then you might get sufficient protection using a really big industrial varistor-type surge protector in combination with a suitable circuit breaker or fuse. The SP will act as a crowbar and draw enough overcurrent to trip the protective device but this will need re-setting/replacing each time. Also the SP will have its life shortened a bit every time it happens.

If it is a regular occurrence or you need it to recover automatically there is no good solution I can think of.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic