question

Lawrence avatar image
Lawrence asked

Generator Shuts down AC Coupled Inverters BEFORE the Quattro Latches

Off Grid, Parallel Quattro 15s, Hi Quality 20kva generator, 4 pole alternator with very good quality power, 3 x Fronius GEN 24 inverters running MG50. The generator has a 1 minute warmup set, and im noticing all three of the Fronius Inverters going to zero output the instant the generator starts. Frequency is still 50hz from the Quattro's at this point as the ACin Relay has not closed. Something is signaling the Fronius to shut down. Any Ideas?

Generatoroffgridgen24
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Lawrence

Are you running PV assistant?

Just a theory here, there is a warm up and the relays are not closed, but here would be voltage present at the input. Pv assistant doesn't run the ac coupled when 'grid' is present. So it is likely that.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Lawrence avatar image Lawrence commented ·
Yes running PV assistant, so what you are saying is that because there is voltage at the Generator Input, the PV Assistant is shutting down the AC coupled. How does it do it as i was watching the AC Out frequency and it stayed at 50hz
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Lawrence commented ·
As a guess maybe yes.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

How many Volts do your GenSet provide?

I had the same issue in the beginning with a SDMO HC6000 (230V Singel phase) which deliver 252V... while my MultiPlus-II was setup to 230V.

Increasing the Voltage from the MultiPlus-II to 240V Solved the problem.

It seems, it has something to do with the tolerance of +-5% from the NOMINAL Voltage, (European norm which the Fronius respect), hence if you setup the MutiPlus-II to 230V and with the GenSet it jump to 252V, it exceed the 5% tolerance and shutdown for security reason.

Maybe you should check this with your setup.

1 comment
2 |3000

Lawrence avatar image Lawrence commented ·

generator provides 230.9-234.3 in the first minute while it warmed up. Under load its very stable at 230.9. Multiplus set to 230 and all three Fronius are in MG50. I will look a bit further into this as the Fronius stayed off the entire time the gen was running.

1713850231636.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1713850231636.png (94.4 KiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Offgrid page