question

stvmcmlln avatar image
stvmcmlln asked

advice for simple camper setup using DCDC, Smart Shunt, and MPPT

Hi,

Just hoping someone that is knowledgeable here can look of this draft digram and let me know if there are any recommendations for this setup:

Should I have additional fuses or isolation?

The PV connection will only be used rarely, while parked and camping.

Thanks

stv

elx-sys.jpg
MPPT SmartSolarSmartShuntorion-tr smart
elx-sys.jpg (353.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wjf avatar image
wjf answered ·

We would normally put fuses between everything. The smartshunt, are you just trying to measure the load? Normally this is put closest to the battery on the neg side.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

In addition to @WJF 's comments

You need a battery isolator.

Use busbars to bring the cables together at the battery. Shunt will go between negative busbar and battery.

Add solar isolator and use the correct mc4 connectors.

Although you say you won't use PV much, it should be always on.

Check local regs on the mains charger, if it's permanently mounted, you'll probably need an RCD and MCB on the input as well as a proper hook up connection.

2 |3000

stvmcmlln avatar image
stvmcmlln answered ·

Many thanks for the advice @WJF & @kevgermany. I've done a quick revised drawing. Please let me know if that's on the right track?

I wasn't sure if (or where) the house battery system should connect to the chassis ground?

The mains charger wouldn't be permanently mounted. Just used in the home garage occasionally.

Noted re mc4 connectors. I haven't updated the image so far though but will use those in the build.

thanks again. elx-sys-v2.jpg

elx-sys-v2.jpg (396.4 KiB)
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks good. Chassis ground to busbar. Someone in another post said that sprinters had a terminal post for this.

2 |3000

drparker151 avatar image
drparker151 answered ·

Generally a dual pole isolator is used on PV connections so you disconnecting both posative and negative at the same time.

2 |3000