question

hape1new avatar image
hape1new asked

EV Charging Station NS --> update from 1.27 to 1.28 failed

The firmware update for the EV NS (product-ID C26) from 1.27 to 1.28 was offered in the VRM. After I initiated the process, it was no longer possible to reach the station via the VRM portal and the previously assigned IP. All attempts to communicate with the GX device failed. After many unsuccessful attempts, it turned out that it was only possible via a Bluetooth connection using the Connect app. The station could then be reached via the web interface by setting it to Accesspoint and via its default IP 192.168.0.3. Nevertheless, it was not possible to enter the necessary network data - any configuration attempt with the settings of the home network failed. The last resort was to restore firmware 1.27. . After that, all connections, data, settings etc. were back. Is the fault with me?

firmware updateev charging stationev charger ns
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, the default IP address for AP mode should end with "1" not "3"

What you can do is saving the settings, update it again to 1.28. If you can't access it anymore, you can reset it to default by pressing the reset button. Then you should be able to access it, upload the settings and that should be it.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
hape1new avatar image
hape1new answered ·

Thank you for your response. The ip-Address was 192.168.0.1 --> this was a typing-mistake by myself.

Anyway, the failed update process cost me several hours yesterday.

Errors can happen ok, but this is not a "nice" process for updating.

To press the reset button, the EV NS must be opened, right? So the button on the circuit board inside the EV NS?

And then the problem is that none of my devices are in the same IP range, which doesn't make it any easier to upload the saved settings --> is there no other way to update?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, you can try updating it directly from the webpage of the device, not through VRM. This should reduce the possible communication errors.

The firmware can be downloaded from Victron Professional portal.

So let's try this, before resting the units to default.

There is something that I don't understand, how did you manage to restore the firmware to 1.27 without resetting the unit?

0 Likes 0 ·
hape1new avatar image
hape1new answered ·

Same behavior as yesterday. After the software update via the web interface of the EV NS the station is not able to change the default IP 192.168.0.1 to the required network data. These are entered manually, just as they were under 1.27. All the datas are correct, but now way. Additionally previously saved user settings cannot be restored. Another reboot did not help either --> and now. I'm really a Victron fan, but this is really not good!

2 comments
2 |3000

Can you connect to the charging station over bluetooth?

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

What do you mean by save data cannot be restored, please explain.

I understand that you are upset, but comments like "I'm really a Victron fan, but this is really not good!" are not helping to solve the issue.

Please give me more details about the current state so we can find a way to solve it. We need to be able to understand and replicate if there is a bug somewhere. And you are the first one reporting this behavior.

0 Likes 0 ·
hape1new avatar image
hape1new answered ·

I was able to solve the problem myself:

Software version 1.28 probably only allows a WLAN connection to a WPA2 network. In my case, however, the station was always connected to a WLAN network from the beginning (firmware 1.25), which ran under an SSID with 2.4GHZ and 5GHz combined. This setting has never caused any connection problems with the station to date.

Now, when updating to 1.28, I must have dropped the ball. So it was certainly my fault, because the commissioning instructions for the station explicitly state 2.4GHz ONLY.

Ok, so the problem is now solved. Maybe the description will help one or the other.

Btw: I still can't understand why they didn't add an Ethernet interface to the station. I would always prefer a cable connection, especially for remote installation/attachment locations (garage, carport). And if there is no cable, you can still use WLAN ...

2 comments
2 |3000

Ok, perfect, I'm glad the issue was solved!

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
And yes, the Wi-Fi module inside can only work on 2.4GHz
0 Likes 0 ·
david-callebaut avatar image
david-callebaut answered ·

Just letting you know. (feedback) I can't update. At 5.3% upload, the file transfer crashes.

I will wait for the next update. Maybe it will be cleared out. I checked 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi

before commenting.

Cheers. Keep up the good work. Hiccups do happen. I trust the Victron team.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, it's an issue on the VRM side, you don't have to wait for the next update. You can update though the EVCS webpage. Download the FW from Victron Professional.

0 Likes 0 ·
david-callebaut avatar image
david-callebaut answered ·

the message

De 2 weg communicatie service van de site reageert niet meer. Controleer de internet verbinding en/of probeer opnieuw

Error: 1302

2 |3000