question

Mike Stasko avatar image
Mike Stasko asked

Split Phase 120/240 support with Grid Meter, ESS and two Quattro’s

Hi –

I have asked this question as part of another thread and received some valuable info from @ee21. I wanted to start a new thread in order to see if others had input OR if there are users who already have the following scenario in place successfully. I searched through the forum and have yet to find a posting on this scenario that involves a grid meter and zero feedback to grid.

I currently have a 48v DC coupled system:

PV > MPPT > BatteryBank > Inverter > 120v Isolated loads.

I would like to expand the system and support 120/240 loads, support a critical load panel, overall household load demand outside of panel with no grid feedback to the utility. Any excess PV production would go to the battery bank or a diversion load, ex. Water heater.

Visually it would be something like this:

The difference being there would be two inverters (Quattros 48/3000/120v) each connected to a grid meter(s). It appears from the information that I gathered to support both phases I would need either two ET112s (one for each phase) OR ET340 (use just two of the phases).

Equipment wise I think I need the following:

MPPT Controller (250/100) – Already have
BMV712 – Already have
2 x Quattro 48/3000/120v – Need
Color GX – Need
Grid Meter (ET112 or ET340) - Need
2 x RS485-USB cables – Need

Thoughts?

Has anyone done this with split phase (120/240v)?

Thanks

ESSEnergy Metergridinstallationsplit phase
images.jpeg (8.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Stasko avatar image
Mike Stasko answered ·

No thoughts on this? I would've assumed someone in a split phase environment has already tackled this scenario or maybe it is just not possible/works well..?.?

btw - Outback's recent SkyBox appears to address this scenario and includes a MPPT controller (200-600v). SkyBox Info

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Mike Stasko

This is a standard setup, you can use a grid meter.

But if your inverters are not to far away from your main panel, you can also use ac-sensors (40A maximum current, so that might be a bit too low),
or wire all loads through the inverters and not need any external sensors (50A for 3k Quattro, 100A for 5k Quattro and above).

2 comments
2 |3000

Mike Stasko avatar image Mike Stasko commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Thanks for confirming.

What about the meter portion of my question? Is there an ideal setup that I should look into - leverage a single ET340 for both inverters OR two ET112's?

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Mike Stasko commented ·

Hi @Mike Stasko

You can use EM24 or ET340

0 Likes 0 ·