question

le-bel avatar image
le-bel asked

dischage level for Lithium HE

Hello Vicron comunity

I want to protect the life time of my HE batteries at best.
We use them in default mode.
I read that I could unload them at 0%.
But what is the optimum level of discharge to maximize lifetime? 20% / 25%?

thank for your help

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @LE BEL

Depending on the use of the batteries (are they mostly fully charged, or cyclic use, etc)

the most life-extending is to not charge to 100%, the batteries are on default not charged to the max, but you'll win most by charging to even less voltage, like 27,5 volt.

keeping discharge levels above 10-20% SOC will also help, but mostly only when they stay at these levels for longer times.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

le-bel avatar image le-bel commented ·

Hi Daniël

Thanks a lot

It's a cyclic use in a boat.

For the discharge level, Is this true for all lithium batteries or specifically for Lithium HE?

Best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ le-bel commented ·

yes on the discharge levels, note that different manufacturers might have different '0% SOC' levels, some might have a built-in reserve, some might actually be empty at 0% SOC

0 Likes 0 ·
le-bel avatar image le-bel Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks,

Yous said that 0% soc could be intégrate built-in reserve depending of manufacturer.

Is it the cas of VICTRON Lithium HE ?

If yes what is the built-in reserve à 0% SOC ?

Best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ le-bel commented ·

They are pretty much empty at 21 volt, I don't know the corresponding SOC value from the bms

0 Likes 0 ·
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

I suggest you have a thorough read through these pages:

Lithium battery charging

benefits and challenges of lithium on a boat

1 comment
2 |3000

Those articles are about LiFePO4 batteries, a different chemistry then the HE batteries, and not applicable.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources