question

rolandrrr avatar image
rolandrrr asked

Multiple EV chargers on one (Cerbo) GX system?

Hello I would like to use three Victron EV charging stations and add them to a central GX system.

Once I have added them to a Cerbo GX system that also has a grid meter configured, can the Cerbo automatically load balance the EV chargers?

So this is not only load balancing for other consuming devices behind the meter, but also load balance the EV chargers among each other

cerbo gxev charging station
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

for now, all the EVCS will make sure that the total consumption will stay below overload value. More will be added later.
0 Likes 0 ·
rolandrrr avatar image rolandrrr Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, what do you mean by the overload value in this case?

I mean this usecase with no Multiplus present. Normally with a Multiplus, you have an input current limit. And the configured ESS can work with that.
Now, there needs be a different place to put this limit, when you only have Cerbo+grid meter+several EV chargers.

You might not even have a grid meter, and already be able to set a limit for all of the EV chargers combined?

0 Likes 0 ·

if there is no Multi, you can fill the filed called "input current limit"1712091970086.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1712091970086.png (39.6 KiB)
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Without a meter, you can't do anything because the EVCS doesn't “know” the total consumption.

0 Likes 0 ·
rolandrrr avatar image rolandrrr Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Well, without a grid meter you could still define a fixed value, lets say a current limit of 25 Amps for the EVCS chargers. I understand from you that that is not possible, but it could've been made like that.
0 Likes 0 ·

Not a solution because you can have some other consumers, not only charging stations

0 Likes 0 ·
Yes correct, for most things it would not be a good solution. But if all you have is chargers and a cerbo, for a small scale parking with charge, with just one connection, it could be good.

Anyway, on such a project it is not too bad to spend money on a grid meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
The meter is not the most expensive part in there, I think it should be a “must” :)
1 Like 1 ·

So this overload is configured on the webpage of a single EVCS, and therefore the EVCS (perhaps multiple of them in my case) will communicate with the Cerbo GX to find out actual remaning input current available?
So one that started charging earlier will probably continue while the other waits.

0 Likes 0 ·
yes
1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers