question

smartdiy avatar image
smartdiy asked

EV Charging Station - feature request

Hi,

I'm working on review of EV Charging Station for my YT channel - the first one with lcd, and to be honest... it's not the best victron product that i've seen.

Nevertheless I have small feature request that will improve the readings of power - if you have connection with cerbo, could you add voltage reading from cerbo? You already have those values in the system so it seems to be very easy to add that feature. Without this showing the charging power it's completly useless with this const power calibration parameter. Voltage in the system fluctuates... especially if you use power from the grid... in a sunny day here in Poland it could be 20V more than during the night. So 20V multiply by 16A and multiply by 3 phase it will give us almost 1kV of misreading ;(

@Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) - is it possible for you to add this kind off power calculation?

1685177281949.png

cerbo gxev charging station
1685177281949.png (165.9 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ponzoa avatar image ponzoa commented ·
While a nice to have, apart fropm us techy people here in this forum, I don't think the average user has use for that. Besides, if you need the voltage, you have it on your Grid info in VRM. For off grid, it should remain a stable 230V or 240V per phase depending on where you are in the world. You don't have your accross phase voltage either (380V/400V/415V) but it's not really an issue, as long as it's within values, is it?
1 Like 1 ·
smartdiy avatar image smartdiy ponzoa commented ·

I don't think that this is a nice to have feature, because right now the charging station shows wrong readings especially if you are on-grid. So for example charging station will show you that you draw 40kWh and the car will show you 50kWh. Do you think that this is what the product with that price tag should work? In that case it will be better not to show anything because right now is only misleading.1686561875757.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1686561875757.png (15.6 KiB)
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ smartdiy commented ·
Hi, you can calibrate the measurements, have you tried that?
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi, the charging station was not designed to be a measurement device. At least not this hardware design. I agree, it should be better to have the voltage measurement added for more precise calculations.
I can give you an inside info, next version will have it, and many other cool features. Don't ask me when, I can't give you that answer :).

0 Likes 0 ·
smartdiy avatar image smartdiy Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
@Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) - thanks for your reply. It's good to know that you are working on new product. Maybe you will show it during the intersolar next week? I'm going there so maybe we will have a chance to meet in person.

But about the ev charger that you already have on the market. Is it that hard to add feature that I wrote above? It will give users some more precise information and it looks to be very simple to implement. You already have those voltage readings on the dbus. You are saying that this ev charger is not a measuring device, but you show the false measurments to the users and also you calculate costs of charging based on those false measurments.

I'm giving you simple solution to make something for the users that already spent a lot of money to buy this product which is 10 levels below your normal quality of products that users expect ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
smartdiy avatar image
smartdiy answered ·

Yest I did. But the calibration uses constant value... and the voltage fluctuates during the day.. so it is useless ;( It should be done using real voltage values rather than constant value. Like I said before.. you have all the data that you need to do it. It's a simple programming solution... so I really don't know what is the problem to add that kind of feature?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.