question

maze4000 avatar image
maze4000 asked

using Venus OS on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 ?

Dear community,

when I try to use Venus OS on my Raspberry Pi 4 Model B it stucks with blinking of the green light 7 times (kernel.img not found). After many try & error using different Venus OS Pi 4 images, including latest v3.40, no success. As I've no micro HDMI cable, I can access the Raspberry only headless via remote (Putty).

I've figured out that "Raspberry Pi OS with desktop" works perfectly, so no failture of the Board or SDCard. However as Linux newbie I had to figure out how to set up access even to this system via remote by adding 'ssh' file and userconf.txt to the root, which I managed using VirtualBox and TinyCore Linux with mounting the SDCard. This way I was able to verify that the Raspberry is Rev 1.4:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pinout
Description        : Raspberry Pi 4B rev 1.4
Revision           : c03114
SoC                : BCM2711
RAM                : 4GB
Storage            : MicroSD

Also eeprom seems to be up-to-date:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
BOOTLOADER: up to date
   CURRENT: Wed 11 Jan 17:40:52 UTC 2023 (1673458852)
    LATEST: Wed 11 Jan 17:40:52 UTC 2023 (1673458852)
   RELEASE: default (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader-2711/default)
            Use raspi-config to change the release.

VL805_FW: Using bootloader EEPROM
     VL805: up to date
   CURRENT: 000138c0
    LATEST: 000138c0

Now I found some hints in this forums, that Rev. 1.4 might not be compatible. However the posts are more or less older than 2 years and https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image states rev 1.4 is a supported platform. So I'm confused, what is the current situation? Is there any way to set up my Rasbperry with Venus OS?

Also found this thread: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/128060/venus-large-rpi4-nightmare.html Is the status from 2022 still the same? Or can the method of exchanging a few files be considered to work reliably? If so are there any instructions?

Thanks in advance

Venus OSRaspberry Piinstallationsd card
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Maze4000

The current versions of VenbusOS work on 1 1.4 revision board. You need to hook a serial console up. This will allow you to monitor the early stages of the VenusOS boot. The system uses. As a newbie you might find this link useful.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/attaching-raspberry-pis-serial-console-uart-debugging

It took a lot to get the revision 1.4 board working as there are a fair few hardware changes that mean a need for kernel and boatload changes. I do not have my system running at the moment to compare your boot loader output, but something could have changed again. If you hook up a serial console and screen grab the output it will give us all a better idea of what is happening.,

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maze4000 avatar image maze4000 commented ·
Thank you for your support. Ordered an USB to Serial Adapter. To be continued in 1-2 weeks.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic