question

fcattaneo avatar image
fcattaneo asked

EES 3 status dont stop battery charging..

I discovered a big problem on my ESS system ( Multiplus II, SmartShunt 500A, SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 150/100, Cerbo GX V3.30 ).

My ESS is configured as two-signal BMS and correct connected to my battery BMS with 2 different free contact ( one for over voltage cell [OV] , and one for under voltage cell [UV] ).

In order to investigate to a over voltage cell occurred recently, i have make a test to understand what appen when a OV contact goes open.

..I see in this case the ESS status goes correctly to "ESS3 disable charger" BUT che battery charging dont stop.

In my opinion when the BMS OV relay open the signal sent to Multiplus II, the SOC have to swith to 100% and stop charging the battery.

I tryed to upgrade some device ( Cerbo from 3.10 Large to 3.30 Large, Multiplus from V497 to V508, MK3 ..) without fixing the problem.

Thaks in advance,

Fabrizio.

ess3-1.png

ees3-2.png

battery chargingBMS
ess3-1.png (70.3 KiB)
ees3-2.png (64.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@fcattaneo

What is monitoring the battery? Do you have a shunt there?

Are you using the aux connections?

Sometimes the ve bus when it is processing the power to feedback to grid show sharing but is not actually sending the power to the battery.

Did you check it with a clamp meter?

Would you rather the system totally shut the PV off instead of supporting the loads? Do you have feedback excess power enabled?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fcattaneo avatar image fcattaneo commented ·

Yes, i have a shunt SmartShunt 500A wired to Cerbo via VE.Direct.

Yes, i use aux connection for OV and UV ( pictures in attach )

I will check with clam meter tomorrow when the sun rise again; but i suspect the charging is real because i had some Overvoltage in some past days.

I have eccess feedback to grid enabled for AC and DC. ( i have solar PV connected via MPTT in DC and via Fronius inverter in AC input.

This is my VRM:

https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/201554/dashboard

Thaks Alexandra.

ess-3.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ess-3.jpg (3.8 MiB)
fcattaneo avatar image
fcattaneo answered ·

I investigate again this problem and i find some other informations..

When the BMS send to Multiplus II the Over Voltage signal ( opening the aux input 1 contact ) the ESS status switch to ESS3, the SmartSolar MPPT dont stop charging but the charging of battery from AC inverter stops...

The OV signal stops chargin battery only from AC inverter ... see the 2 pictures in attach...

The first one see normal condition... the 2 PV array ( one in AC and one in DC ) charging the battery with 97A and power the home.

In the second the OV accurred, ESS status switch to ESS3 , but the battery are charged from Smart Solar MPTT.... the power from AC inverter are switched to the grid correctly.

ess3-4.png

ess3-5.png

Fortunatly my Smart Solar MPTT VE.can have hardware remote control input for on/off the unit.. now i will use this input for stop the charging in DC when a OV occur.. but i think this is a big BUG that are to be fixed.

ess3-4.png (258.9 KiB)
ess3-5.png (266.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@fcattaneo

What firmware are you running on your victron components?

Is the system set to feedback to grid?

You have feedback on, stated in the ESS manual, the system tends to ignore battery limits when feedback is on.

What is the minimum SOC set in ESS? Is the system supposed to be charging according to that level?

0 Likes 0 ·
fcattaneo avatar image
fcattaneo answered ·

Firmware :

Cerbo from V3.30 Large

Multiplus II V508

Smar Shunt 500A V4.14

SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 150/100 V3.13

>Is the system set to feedback to grid?

Yes, for both AC coupled PV feed-in excess and DC coupled PV feed-in excess.

>You have feedback on, stated in the ESS manual, the system tends to ignore battery limits when feedback is on.

But OV input must be stop charge ( and put SOC to 100% ) in order to prevent battery damage.. This is a security function...

I suspect this is a BUG .. the SmartSolar is connected to Cerbo GX via Ve.can bus; i have to try connect the unit via Ve.Direct in order to see if sometings change...

I have check all current via clamp meter and the mesurament are ok.

Ciao,

Fabrizio.

2 |3000