question

stoverjason avatar image
stoverjason asked

Solar Irradiance and Wind Speed Sensor - Best Connection Method

Hello all,

I searched for, but could not find the answer. I'm looking to add a solar irradiance and wind speed sensor to my RV. I had initially thought RS485 was the way to go, but then I remembered I have the GX Tank 140. I am only using one of the connections for my fresh water tank monitoring (pressure sensor 0-5V). I'll likely use one more connection for the black tank monitoring (maybe), but the other two remain open with no plans for use.

Thus, my question is, for the solar irradiance AND wind speed sensor, each has the option of RS485, 0-5V, 0-10V and 4-20mA. Which method is preferred or best?

I'm already using a usb hub because I've run out of usb ports on the cerbo, but I'm wondering if using the GX Tank 140 makes more sense with the voltage or amperage option.

Just FYI, I don't know if it matters, but I have a Class A rig that is about 12 ft tall (4m) and the cable will have to travel about 12-21 ft (4-7m) to the cerbo from the roof. I'm not 100% on the wind speed sensor, that may have to have a length of as much as 42 feet (14m) if I mount it on the front of the rig (cerbo is in the rear compartment).

Any thoughts as to which is preferred for each?

One last thing, I'm kind of on the fence about the Irradiance sensor, I'm not sure the value of it, but I'm a nerd so it's worth the intellectual curiosity. For the wind speed sensor, I do plan on adding a wind turbine at some point so that will have some value.

Thank you, all, for your thoughts and shared wisdom.

tank monitorwindirradiance monitoring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

GX Tank 140 product page

Connecting tank monitoring to Cerbo GX