question

boxie avatar image
boxie asked

Charging an infrequently used battery pt. 2

Hi,

I want to add another battery, between the solar controller and the car starter battery, to charge over night. Both would be 12v and 55amps. Which controller should i put between the two batteries? Would the SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 be suitable?

Thanks,

Michael.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You'll have to give us more information. Battery types and what's charging what. Overnight charging when there's no solar doesn't really make sense to me. Perhaps you can explain in more detail.

But an MPPT is not correct, it takes input from solar panels and requires the input voltage to be 5V higher than the battery to be charged before charging will start. .

Probably one of the Orion DC:DC chargers is what's needed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boxie avatar image
boxie answered ·

Batteries are lead acid. I only use my car a couple of time a week, during the day and its only a 4 mile journey, which drains the battery. So i wanted to charge another battery during the day and make that charge the car overnight.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Then a 12/12 Orion charger would be ideal. Pick the charge current to suit your battery sizes. It's the last number in the model name. One that charges the car battery in 10 hours would be the most you'll need.

You can just disconnect the car when you use it, no need to disconnect overnight.

2 |3000