question

pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj asked

Does Cerbo GX include all functions of MK3 for programming Multiplus II?

Does MK3-USB have any abilities for programming Multiplus II that Cerbo GX does not have? If so, what are they?

I'm getting a good deal on Cerbo, but trying to decide if I need/want it. Can't afford both.

cerbo gxmk3-usbmultipluss ii
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@pekkaj

Yes, the MK3 has the ability to directly connect to the inverter, either to update or program either using Victron connect on your phone with otg or from your laptop.

You can do it all over the VRM/internet using the GX. But can get a bit hairy sometimes. (Make sure your router does not lose power.)

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pekkaj avatar image pekkaj commented ·

Making connection between PC (Windows) and Cerbo seems a bit complicated. I'll make another question about that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pekkaj commented ·

I saw the new queation @pekkaj. It is always easier to have the MK3 to usb adaptor.

The Cerbo S is way cheaper than the full Cerbo. So you could have some budget for an MK3 if you can live without a few features.

2 Likes 2 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The Cerbo does not offer programming functionality of a VE.Bus product (with the exception of remote VE.Config through the VRM, but that's a separate issue).

An MK3 is required equipment for granular programming of a VE.Bus product, as noted in the VE.Bus product manual - you don't specify which MultiPlus-II, so I won't link a specific manual, but whatever one you're looking at, just go to the manual and look for the "configuration" section!

2 |3000

blindbadger avatar image
blindbadger answered ·

EDIT: Removing my assumption of bluetooth as an option.

MK3-USB is just a cable/CAN interface, so it doesn't have any capabilities other than reading the CAN connection from the MPII. If you have a cerbo, you don't *need* it but it can be helpful for quick local programming or work. It's also necessary if you're doing like me and using the "poor man's cerbo" (Raspberry Pi running VenusOS). option to provide the CAN interface connection.

For programming the options are VE.Configure (PC App over MK3-USB or offline file/Remote VE.Configure through VRM) or the Victron Connect App (iOS/Android/Mac over the MK3-USB cable).

If you're doing just the normal basic setup, the Victron Connect App works just fine but you'll still need the cable. Explorist.life has a pretty good video that walks through programming a multiplus over that connection using the mobile app.

If you want a bit more or want to avoid buying the dongle, you can use the Cerbo to connect the multiplus to VRM and program it via Remove VE.Configure (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure)

VE.Configure does everything that Victron Connect does, plus some advanced options (primarily around advanced features such as assistants for automation or relay control). You can use this either over USB directly, or by downloading the remote config file from VRM, modifying it in the application, then uploading it back over VRM (what I did since my laptop is MacOS but I had access to a virtual Windows machine).

4 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
To configure a system with more than one VE.Bus device you need a MK3 to do the initial setup (parallel, three-phase or split-phase).
3 Likes 3 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Some of this is incorrect, in that no programming can be done to a VE.Bus product over bluetooth. The MK3 is not an alternative to the VE.Bus Smart Dongle - the Dongle is for basic monitoring and switching only (as detailed in the manual) while the MK3 can be used to update and program the unit.

2 Likes 2 ·
blindbadger avatar image blindbadger Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
I went back and double checked the video I saw and you're right...I'll edit to add the correction. I didn't realize what I saw was someone who had connected the MK3-USB to their phone and assumed they were doing it over bluetooth.
1 Like 1 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ blindbadger commented ·

Totally understandable, not the first time that assumption has been made and definitely won't be the last, LOL!

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources