question

rotevery avatar image
rotevery asked

Replacement of MPPT SmartSolar 450/100 Charge Controllers Serial Number Between HQ2216 and HQ2236

Victron Energy Publication_Victron RS 45 100 Issue.pdfPlease refer to the attached Victron publication dated July 28, 2023, issued/signed by Victron Energy CEO Matthijs Vader. One of my 450/100s suddenly developed the exact fault mentioned in the publication on Friday March 22, 2024, causing 50% reduction in solar energy production for my home which is 100% off-grid, leading to load shedding and switching off of some critical equipment. It was a painful experience for my family. So, I returned the faulty 450/100 to the Victron distributor who sold to me with a request for replacement for the faulty one (super urgent) as well as the still-working one because I was concerned that the still-working one could fail suddenly and throw my home into total darkness which would be unbearable. The distributor told me they were going to process my request on only the faulty one and that the still working one had to become faulty before they could process any replacement on it. The distributor also told me they did not have any 450/100 in stock. I had to buy a new one from another distributor on March 25, 2024, installed and commissioned it same day because of the impact /potential impact on my family. Well, today the first distributor gave me a replacement unit with serial number between serial number between HQ2216 and HQ2236. Both the faulty one and the so-called replacement have serial numbers starting with HQ2219. This is to say the least, surprising to me. They also maintain that the still-working unit must fail before they would replace it. PLEASE DID I READ THE ATTACHED VICTRON PUBLICATION WRONG? Or is it just the distributor that is being unnecessarily difficult.

MPPT SmartSolarfaulterror 200
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@RotEvery

Sounds like the problem is supply/stock of/for the distributor (are they on the official list?). The note does say it can be replaced even before it fails but if they can't then there is not much they can do immediately.

The warranty is 10 years on that range. I hear you though that is more than just inconvenient when off grid to not have enough solar.

0 Likes 0 ·
rotevery avatar image rotevery Alexandra ♦ commented ·

They are on official list. They have a different interpretation of the publication. If the problem is supply/stock they should state it rather than re-interpret or twist what the publication says. One should rather wait for when they re-stock. Afterall, I already spent money to buy another one from another distributor just to protect my home. Since the publication provides for replacement before a fault, I would rather replace as soon as possible than risk having the experience of last weekend at a random time within the 10 years. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If your seller is an official distributor than he should know how to handle this correctly.
He also should have got an email from Victron how to handle RMAs with those affected units.

Can you share the SN of the defective unit and from the replacement?
This helps Victron to get in touch with the distributor.

You can post your answer only visible to moderators.

1711569041113.png

1711569041113.png (9.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rotevery avatar image
rotevery answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE, the defective unit is serial number HQ2219[mod edit]. The "replacement unit" is serial number HQ2219[mod edit]. The still working unit that I also asked to be replaced but which they say has to become faulty before they can initiate replacement process is serial number HQ2219[mod edit]. Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
I believe @Matthias Lange - DE is offline by now (at least I hope so, given the time in his area) but in the meantime I've removed the final digits from the posted serials, and the serial info and distributor info has been escalated to Victron directly, who will be in touch with the local VE sales manager and work with the distributor to get all this sorted for you.
0 Likes 0 ·
h2009 avatar image
h2009 answered ·

Hi there, what happens if your dealer is non-responsive (possibly bankrupt) who do we contact to get RMAs sorted with?

Thank you

3 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Generally speaking, just file a Support Request (please make sure to enter the product serial number) and it will either be directed to the original distributor for the unit (who may be a different entity than your dealer) or to another distributor who will try to assist.

Start the process by entering the product serial number in the box on the main support page: https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ·
h2009 avatar image h2009 Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you - it seems my dealers wasn't the distributor. I'll contact them for some help.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ h2009 commented ·
Dealers are supplied by the distributor.
0 Likes 0 ·
rotevery avatar image
rotevery answered ·

Update / Good News:

A different person called me from the distributor company today in the morning. He apologized for the situation, and we had a smooth conversation. We agreed as follows:

- They have ordered 2 new units of the 450/100 and they will be shipped out to arrive within 2 weeks as replacement devices from a new batch.

- They will send someone to retrieve the ‘replacement' controller that was sent to me yesterday. He explained that that ‘replacement' controller should not be in circulation.

- They will also deliver a second controller to me as a replacement for the functioning unit I have. Once I receive the second controller, I am to install it at my residence and send the second unit back to them at my earliest convenience.

If y'all don't see any further updates from me within the next 3 weeks, please know that this issue is fully resolved and closed.

Thank a lot for the comments, advice and actions.

3 comments
2 |3000

rotevery avatar image rotevery commented ·

Well, 2 weeks have passed and it seems I'm the one chasing the distributor. They have retrieved the other controller that we agreed they should retrieve. No word yet on the new replacement ones. They have verbally promised AGAIN to update me on where the replacements are by noon today. This is the reason I didn't want to close this thread until they do what they said they would do. Will keep y'all posted. Cheers.

1 Like 1 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Excellent news.
0 Likes 0 ·
larsea-dk avatar image larsea-dk commented ·

You are lucky

I have 2pcs mppts 250/100, where one failed and where replaced by Victron…great service by distributor. But I found out that this mppt in a certain production series has a design fault. I actually expected that Victron as a not cheap brand would also replace my other mppt due to the design fault.

Check this: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/267305/mppt-pv-short-relay.html

I will still follow up on this and progress on getting also the other unit replaced, since Victron know that this mppt has a design fault, where this safety relay will not reset even if it should. I see this as a defective product and it is also not cheap.

I have been told that Victron would not change it unless it actually failed.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Faults with Victron equipment are best discussed directly with your dealer - this can be formalised with this support request form.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic