question

jason-lane avatar image
jason-lane asked

SOC Stopped Showing on VRM Dashboard Chart

A couple of day ago, the SOC data stopped showing on my System Overview chart of my VRM dashboard. However, the SOC is still correctly displayed in all other places, including in my Advanced charts.

You can see in my screenshot the exact point where the SOC line on my System Overview stopped logging. I believe this coincided with a reboot of my CCGX device, but I hadn't changed any settings on the CCGX or in the VRM portal.

I've tried looking for any possible way to get the logging to resume on the chart, but I've had no luck so far. I've tried rebooting the CCGX again to see if that helped, but it did not.

Any ideas?

screenshot-2024-03-26-at-121940pm.png

screenshot-2024-03-26-at-122208pm.png

vrm logging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·
When all else fails, pull the plug on the cerbo. Leave it off for a minute and then plug it in again.
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jason-lane avatar image jason-lane commented ·
@nickdb I finally got physical access to the inverter (at my folks' holiday home) and I decided to try powering off the CCGX for a little while. After booting back up, the VRM data seems to be logging properly again. Thanks very much to you and @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) for all your help :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
2 |3000

jason-lane avatar image
jason-lane answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Are you able to suggest anything else for me to try?

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Curly one, I'll ask the VRM team to have a look.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you! And I actually just noticed two things that I hadn't noticed before.

1. The little mini graphs that are normally shown at the bottom of the tiles are no longer showing.

screenshot-2024-03-28-at-101635am.png

2. If I back out to the "All Installations" page, the values shown here are no longer accurate, and they seem to correspond to the last values at the time the battery SOC line ends on my chart.

screenshot-2024-03-28-at-101939am.png

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jason-lane commented ·
Worth checking if the devices appear in the GX remote console device list and are updating. If not, there is a comms issue or a GX issue.

If they do appear, reboots don't help, then try disable VRM connectivity under settings VRM portal, then enable it again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Jason Lane and @nickdb,

The VRM team is looking into right now, including the little spark graphs.

Please make no changes to the system or attempt to troubleshoot yourself until further instructions from me so they have a clear picture.

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi Guy. OK, thank you for having it looked into. I will not touch anything else, but I actually already did try @nickdb's suggestion of disabling and re-enabling the VRM logging option last night (including another reboot of the CCGX). I briefly thought it had worked, as I got a green dot on the chart and then a blue dot, but after some time passed, I realised that the dot never continued to grow into a line, and remained as a dot in the chart. It seems that restarting the logging just created a new "stuck" point on my chart and on the Installations page. Interestingly, the green dot (Battery Now) does actually appear to move up and down the Y-axis and correctly indicate the current SOC, but it doesn't move along the X-axis (time). The blue dot (min/max) indicate the new "stuck" value shown on the Installations page, which was the SOC at the time I re-enabled logging. Very strange, indeed. See the new screenshot:

screenshot-2024-03-29-at-103703am.png

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jason-lane commented ·
On the GX, VRM portal section, what does it show "last contact" as? Does it show anything under "connection error"?

This won't affect any troubleshooting going on.

0 Likes 0 ·
jason-lane avatar image jason-lane nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
No errors, and last contact is as it should be. ie. Usually a few seconds, and always updating.
0 Likes 0 ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Would you mind asking the team who are looking into this to send me a message? There's something else I would like to ask them to take a look at while they're in there.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Jason Lane

Not really, sorry.

The way this reporting channel works is that I am responsible for identifying and escalating VRM specific issues to the team, and making sure they have all the necessary information, and then following it up.

Unfortunately in the case of your bug, the VRM team believes it's more likely an issue at the GX device (VenusOS) and not VRM itself (this is pretty common and it's almost impossible to know for an end user where the origin is, as it appears on VRM).

The GX team is extremely focused right now on some major changes, so it's just not possible to open the doors so to speak.

Everything that can be done now, has been done. We just need to wait for the next step to happen.

If you really don't want to make a new public question here on the community, the next best thing might be to submit a ticket here - https://www.victronenergy.com/support-request

One other thing, can you confirm this is a 100% normal default system with no custom modifications or anything like that right?

0 Likes 0 ·
jason-lane avatar image jason-lane Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) No problem at all. Thanks for your help thus far. I might go ahead and post another question for the other issue I have. When I think about it, it's most probably also not a VRM issue. It may not even be a GX issue, but I'll see what you/others might be able to say about it.

As for the system being 100% default, I can say that I myself have not made any modifications to it. I have a vague memory of my installer mentioning custom firmware on the Multiplus or the Freedom Won battery, but I believe that was a few years ago, perhaps when there were still teething issues with the Freedom Won integration. I honestly don't know whether there are still any custom firmwares still being used now, but I'm quite sure the VenusOS is stock.

The closest thing that I have done to a "mod" was to integrate with Home Assistant using Modbus TCP, but I only use that to read values, and I've tried to be careful not to send any changes from HA to the Multiplus/GX.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic