question

abeltasman avatar image
abeltasman asked

Best Method to Integrate New Alternator with Victron System for Dual Battery Bank Charging

I'm in the process of upgrading my sailboat's electrical system by installing a new alternator to the main engine. Historically, this alternator was only charging the starting batteries. However, I'm aiming to enhance its utility by also enabling it to charge the house battery bank. This bank consists of four 12V batteries configured to deliver 24V, and it's additionally supported by charging options from a separate generator or shore power through a Victron Quattro 24V | 3000 VA | 70 amp charger/inverter.

Given the dual charging sources (alternator and either generator or shore power) for the house bank, I'm deliberating on the most efficient and safe method to integrate the alternator into this setup. The primary goal is to initiate charging of the house bank with the alternator only after the starting batteries have reached their desired voltage levels.

The options I'm considering are:

1. Directly connecting the alternator to the battery banks using a battery isolator, such as the Victron Argo Diode 80-2SC. This setup would theoretically allow for seamless charging of both the starting and house banks, with priority given based on the battery isolator's configuration.

2. Routing the alternator's output through the Victron Quattro charger/inverter. This approach might offer more integrated management within the existing Victron system but introduces questions about efficiency and the proper method for implementation.

I'm seeking advice on which of these approaches would be best considering factors such as efficiency, battery health, and system integration. Additionally, if there are specific configurations or additional components recommended for either method to ensure optimal performance and safety, those insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

battery chargingalternatorisolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
aalsonn avatar image
aalsonn answered ·

Consider directly connecting the alternator to the 24V house battery bank without using a battery isolator or regulator. You could then manage charging priorities with a manual switch, allowing you to decide when to charge the starting batteries or the house bank. Additionally, implementing standard automotive relays could facilitate manual toggling between the battery banks, based on observed battery voltages.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic