question

bysebastiaan avatar image
bysebastiaan asked

home battery setup with 2 AC inputs

Hello Victron experts,

I am creating a home battery setup with 2 AC inputs and I would like to double-check some details with you all.

In short, I would like to charge a battery with an AC input coming from the shed during the day (AC 2 in the picture). Then I would like to discharge this battery to a house (AC 1 in the picture) during the evening.

I am going to be charging the battery at 2000VA max. The battery is a 48V Pylontech US5000. Also, see my paint image.

thuisbatterij-opstelling.jpg

Questions:

1. Can I remotely swap between charging and discharging? I.e. with an app. Or do I need to physically walk to the inverter to swap between charging and discharging?
  2. To my understanding, I need a Victron Quattro to do this. The Quattro has 2 AC inputs and a built-in transfer switch. Am I correct? I am open to cheaper/better options.
battery charging
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I would encourage you to find an experienced supplier and to talk through this to see what can actually be done, is legally compliant in your region and ultimately is safe.

As per our guidelines we discourage broad design topics, especially when the base knowledge appears to be lacking.

There are a lot of free resources also available to you, such as the online video training at professional.victronenergy.com.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

1. Yes but the system will do this automatically if setup as ess. Or you can write custom code/config. Give this a read, fair bit of info here

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-introduction---features.html

2. What are your two ac inputs. So far it appears you only have one ac input being from shed (i assume that's the grid?).

The ac to house I would wire as a critical load (on ac out connection of inverter) if the inverter is big enough. That way you'd have UPS functionality. So if grid goes down house stays on

If you only have one ac input a multiplus ii is sufficient. Unless you have 2 ac inputs like grid and generator for example.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bysebastiaan avatar image
bysebastiaan answered ·

@matt1309 thank you for your answer and link. I will setup an ESS.

I forgot to mention that the shed also has a grid connection. I now added that to my drawing.

thuisbatterij-opstelling.jpg

I like your suggestion to wire the house as AC out on the inverter side. That would save me an expensive Quattro and I can just use a multiplus ii.

Can I still add solar panels (on a separate inverter) to the house with this setup? It would be nice to charge the battery with the solar panels but not needed.

2 |3000