question

victrongsmr avatar image
victrongsmr asked

[USA] Sneaky 240V Autotransformer Input

As the title says, 50% of the time I plug my system into a "240V" source, it's either split-phase 180 degree, or two legs off of a three phase system. I had to double check, and when I measured it was exactly what I thought, 208V across L1 and L2. L1-N on the AT was 104V and L2-N was 110V. Clearly not acceptable.

I require the new neutral created, to pass downstream to my multiplus-ii 2x120.

Has anyone come up with a solution to resolve this, without bypassing the auto transformer?

@ben

Autotransformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

If your question is, "how do I deal with 208V circuits in campgrounds?", then the only options I can think of are:

1. Charge your batteries using a separate charger and let the inverter+AT run off the DC only.
  2. Switch to one or two 120V inverters.
  3. Buy a second autotransformer (or an autoformer) to boost 208V back up to 240V. You can get one of these in a weather-rated enclosure if you want to stick it out by the pole.
  4. Accept the consequences of running appliances on 104V (or much worse.. I've seen 99V).

By the way, I'm a little surprised you measured 104V + 110V out of the AT given a 208V input. Was the actual input 214V?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

victrongsmr avatar image
victrongsmr answered ·

1. Was the initial idea before I found the AT. The Victron chargers have pretty low limits for max current, and I went with the AT instead.

3. Thought about this, might look into it.

I will verify the actual input voltage today and report back.

1 comment
2 |3000

victrongsmr avatar image victrongsmr commented ·

Actual voltage was 208V, and another source was 207V. I wrote down the wrong numbers, and today verified it to be 101V and 106V on L1/L2. There's a slight imbalance on both pedestals I checked, but they both did add up to 208V and 207V.

0 Likes 0 ·
victrongsmr avatar image
victrongsmr answered ·

After researching some of the 208V to 240V transformers, they all explicitly say that it will be three phase 240V. I wonder if the AT would handle this accordingly (it seems fine) and the downstream multiplus ii 2x120 will be able to utilize the input being 120V-0-120V from a Y. I don't see why not, but would be great to confirm.

2 comments
2 |3000

ben avatar image ben ♦ commented ·

I'm not sure where you're finding those. You just need a single phase boost transformer 208V-240V. Multiple phases don't come into play (and aren't relevant for your campground).

0 Likes 0 ·
victrongsmr avatar image victrongsmr ben ♦ commented ·

You're right, there seems to be some misunderstanding when I was talking to a few vendors. I am going to order a simple 208V to 240V step-up transformer, install an isolated circuit breaker before it, since it doesn't have any upstream overcurrent or overvoltage protection. After the 240V boost, I'll feed that input to the Victron AT, and hopefully things well be swell from there.

@ben thanks again for the insight, appreciate you. I'll report back in a few days once I've got this going.

0 Likes 0 ·