question

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser asked

Color Control GX and Bluetooth Dongle

I have a customer with an old Color Control GX. The customer wants to use some Ruuvi tag temperature sensors with the system. I know the CCGX doesn't have Bluetooth built in. My question is can a USB Bluetooth dongle be added to the CCGX to allow it to communicate with Bluetooth sensors like the Ruuvi tag sensors? I do this regularly with Cerbos to extend their bluetooth range, but they already have Bluetooth built in. I have never tried it with a CCGX.

I also know Venus OS firmware version 2.80 or later is required to support Ruuvi tag sensors. Will the CCGX run at least that firmware? (I don't know what version of firmware the customer currently has because the install is in a remote location and the customer doesn't remember.)

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Chad Heiser

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112834/connect-ruuvi-to-ccgx.html Choose well.

My own 8yo ccgx runs the latest v3.22, but I don't use a bt dongle. I use a Victron wifi nano.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chad Heiser avatar image
Chad Heiser answered ·

@JohnC thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty sure everything would work on the CCGX just like it does on the Cerbo GX, but I didn’t want to drive out to the remote location of my customer’s installation just to test it. I use Bluetooth USB dongles on all the Cerbo GX’s I install with either Ruuvi tag or Mopeka Bluetooth sensors to improve the Cerbo’s Bluetooth range and stabilize the connectivity. I’ve just never done it on a CCGX.

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Chad Heiser

Should work the same as Cerbo. CCGX doesn't have a lot of usb ports though, you have a spare?

0 Likes 0 ·
Chad Heiser avatar image Chad Heiser JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC I have installed CCGX's in the past, just never used them with Bluetooth. Ever since the Cerbo became available, I haven't put another CCGX in. I am aware the CCGX only has two USB ports. Currently neither port is used. Whomever originally installed the system only connected the Multiplus to the CCGX. They installed a BMV-712 and two VE CAN model MPPT's, but never connected them to the CCGX (which mystifies me). The installer also never added WiFi to the CCGX so it could communicate with VRM. This is why the customer contacted me. I have done some other work in the area and once the customer realized his system was lacking potential functionality (after seeing my other installs) he contacted me to get his system up to snuff. I'll be adding a WiFi USB dongle and a Bluetooth USB dongle to the CCGX and connecting the BMV 712 and the two solar controllers to the CCGX. Luckily the two solar controllers are VE CAN models so I can daisy chain them to the CCGX so I won't run out of VE Direct ports.
0 Likes 0 ·