question

buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt asked

Smartshunt and DC system measurement

Hello,

I am dealing since days with this problem:

I have 2 MPPTs connected to a Rasp Venus 2.94 and DVCC switched on, a LiFepo4 with DIYBMS connected to CAN, it is a stand-alone system. DVCC on, ESS not present.

Now I connect a Smart Shunt (see the drawing) in the system, as consumers I have 3 Inverters (120V, 220V, 12V). DC system is switched on, Smartshunt is configured as DC System.

Problem: The reading of the Smartshunt is completely wrong. (see sample readings in the drawing). Instead 188W the Smartshunt show 84W.

Can someone help?

drawing.jpgsystem.png

screenshot-20240315-1331432.png

Venus OSSmartShunt
drawing.jpg (30.5 KiB)
system.png (81.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The smart shunt must be in series with the BMS shunt, at the moment it won't see the MPPT current. So connect the MPPT output to the consumer/load side of the shunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

buddhafragt avatar image buddhafragt commented ·

If I do so, the Smartshunt measure exact the same as the BMS shunt, thats not the sense....

The Smartshunt should measure the consumption of all loads, and the current can come from the battery or from the MPPTs.

the BMS shunt measure what is going in and out from the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, misunderstood you.

Which Venus version is on the RPi?

Have you used a clamp meter to measure currents and confirm the values from MPPTs, BMS, smartshunt?

I'd guess that one or more loads bypasses the shunt. Or possibly timing differences between the three measurements, especially if the loads vary frequently.

2 |3000

buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt answered ·

Rasp Venus 2.94...

right now the MPPTs are off and the BMS shunt, which is very exact measure 240W, the Smartshunt 80W. I measure also with a Shelly, which are also exact.

After checking the values for a while, I see the Smartshunt measure almost exact 1/3 from the real consumption... strange!

There is no load bypassing, if a 120W load is switched on, the Smartshunt show 40W more!

1 comment
2 |3000

buddhafragt avatar image buddhafragt commented ·
Now I have it... stupid error!

The Smartshunt lost the connection and Venus replace the real values with a calculation... hard to see, I notice when I was taken a look for the device.

Thanks for the answers! The circuit at the drawing is working.

1 Like 1 ·