question

jamierobinson avatar image
jamierobinson asked

MPPT 450/200 and hydro

Hi.

I have recently just upgraded a system I installed a few years ago. There was a hydro plant which produces DC. This was coupled to a 250/70 MPPT with no issues and has run for years. I fitted extra PV and have opted to use a 450/200 MPPT for the larger new system. I put the hydro input into one of the 4 strings of the MPPT and the turbine now hunts badly at low outputs. It gets to full speed and the MPPT starts harvesting too hard. This causes the turbine to stall, the MPPT disconnects and the process starts again.

Is the MPPT algorithm the same in these larger MPPT's, and is it possible to alter the ramp rate in them so it starts to harvest more gently? The smaller 250/70 has run well for years but I need the higher Voc in the larger unit.

Any help gratefully received.

Jamie Robinson

mppt rs
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·

What kind of Hydro-Generator do you use?

Vmpp, Voc, Pmax?

I have a Hydro-Generator now with Vmpp 52,4V, Voc 190V and Pmax 4500W and it works very well with a SmartSolar MPPT 250/100-Tr VE.Can on my 24V SOPzS Batteries with 2940Ah,

If I connect the SmartSolar to a 16S DIY LiFePO4 pack with DalyBMS 300A, then the SmartSolar start sucking what it can and the Engine which drive the Hydro-Generator run very hard (I can hear the noise)...

Hence I would say, your RS450/200 is overloading the Hydro-Generator.

The 250/100 has 5,6kW @48V while the 450/200 can take 11,2kW.

Maybe this is the case.

Simply try limiting the charging current.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers