question

zucca avatar image
zucca asked

Relay for high DC voltage without Alarm

I am trying to activate an active balancer when the battery voltage is high enough.

I need a relay that closes when the VDC is above a programmable Vhigh limit.

I have the following relaies available in the following Victron devices:

- Lynx Shunt

- Quattro

- MTTP RS

- Cerbo

the Lynx Shunt will not work, it has only the low voltage relay coupled with the alarm.

the Quattro is promising but I have to do it over an assistant module, not very flexible and I have to cut the power when programming it.

The MTTP RS has a wonderful high voltage DC Relay function but it seems it is coupled again with an alarm, so I will get an alarm notification and I do not want it.

This leave me only with the option of Cerbo with Node-RED, but I would like to know if it is possible to do it. After a quick google session the information I got are not precise so that's why I ask here.

Aprreciate the help in advance.

cerbo gxNode-REDRelayovervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @zucca

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED [Victron Energy]

This might be helpful if you've not already spotted it. Covers what devices have relays and which are controllable via node red etc. Ofc you'll have to check they can operate with the voltage you're using (or buy a intermediary relay with higher specs if needed).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

uguraladag avatar image
uguraladag answered ·

screenshot-2024-03-14-18-57-17-284-comamazonmshopa.jpg

If you use this relay module on the relay outputs of one or both Cerbo Gx relays, you can easily control a 220 Volt 10 Amp Ac or 30 Volt 10 Amp DC load.

2 |3000

zucca avatar image
zucca answered ·

@matt1309 I own you a beer! Excellent! No need of intermediary relay, I am dealing with 10VDC and a few mA for activating the balancers.

Looks like I can even use the Lynx Shunt which is the best, close to the battery packs.

Time for homeworks and my first implementation of Node-RED!

Lovely!

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
No worries. Give us a shout if you need a hand with any of the node red side of things.

Shame your BMS doesnt have the function for activating active balancer. Wouldn't need to worry at all then.

0 Likes 0 ·