question

Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru asked

Multi RS passthrough mode not working like described

Hi developers,

As per title, in Multi RS change log it says, since version 1.12, "Add pass-through mode, this closes the AC input relay while the inverter/charger remains off, the MPPT charger remains active"

You could see below, that the statement doesn't hold true and when setting Passtrough, the MPPT production is 0W, despite the fact that the battery can accept the production, since is not 100% charged.

Initially I thought that maybe because the system was set as "Optimized with BatteryLife", but no, even if I set "Keep the batteries charged" it doesn't start the MPPTs and charge the battery...

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Alex

1.jpg

2.jpg

72778-pass.jpg

bug reportMulti RS
1.jpg (35.6 KiB)
2.jpg (31.9 KiB)
72778-pass.jpg (59.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·
Hi Alex,

I have spoken to the engineers and for the foreseeable future enabling pass thru mode will disable MPPT charging.

Changes are now being made to the release notes and VictronConnect so that this is accurately described.

As an aside, did you have a particular use case or reason to want to keep solar charging enabled while passthru was enabled? Or were you just surprised it didn't behave as described?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Thank you for the confirmation.

I was just surprised, because according to your hardware design, keeping that solar charger active will also imply keeping parts of the inverter and grid charger active meaning a contradiction with the description.

I just like this Multi RS of yours very much and when I like something I want to know everything about its functioning and design. And when I study something, I saw that I have a flair for finding problems. I hope you don't mind my nagging, it's just my desire to work flawlessly and to help.

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·

Perfect, and very smart deduction. I was told it’s not going to be an easy thing to change now, so there was some interest in how important that function actually was.

While I personally think it would be better if the MPPT stays on, unless we can come up with a very compelling situation where it is required, it might not get any further attention from R&D.

As for the feedback, it’s literally the reason I created this community. It’s super valuable, and totally aligned with our ethos of continuous improvement. As long as the people giving feedback can understand that not everything can be a priority for the R&D and often patience/acceptance is required, then it’s great for everyone.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) , @mvader (Victron Energy)

Can you please help me find an answer to this?

It's been a week now and no one from the community was able to confirm or infirm if it's a bug or I am missing something...

After initially thought that maybe because the system was set as "Optimized with BatteryLife", could influence this, now I've also tried with or without Cerbo control.

The same, not even when the inverter is alone with the panels and the battery, the advertised functioning is not working...

No battery charging from solar charger is taking place in Passtrough mode, even if the docs and software says otherwise...

Thank you in advance!

Alex

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I have moved this to Q&A where it belongs, you may have more luck here. I have asked the community team if anyone can shed some light.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Alex Pescaru,

I can reproduce it so it looks like a bug. I'll follow up with the Multi RS team and get back to you.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru commented ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Thank you very much for your help!

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Mutli RS Solar Datasheet

Mutli RS Manual