question

hfuglestad avatar image
hfuglestad asked

Bluesolar 150/70 low watt with low SOC

Hi. I have a Bluesolar 150/70 (the old big one) with 2x 300W solar panels in series, that earlier was connected to a system with 12V OPzS a Multiplus 12/3000/120, CCGX and it worked flawlessly.

Now I've changed to a system with 48V LifePo4 battery pack. Multiplus II 48/3000/35, CCGX
The problem now is that the Bluesolar won't charge with more than around 50W. I've changed the battery setup in the Bluesolar to "manual" and set it up with the spec from the battery producer.
Bulk / absorbtion: 56,8 volt
Float: 56,0 volt

As I write this the system report the following:
SOC: 57.7%
Volt: 53.7v
PV charge: 48%
PV volt: 89.4v
DC: 11W

So the question is: Why does it not charge with a higher output when the weather is clear and the sun is high? The PV volt of almost 90V indicates that the panels are capable of producing close to full power.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@h.fuglestad I don't have an immdediate answer, other than make sure the system voltage is correctly set to 48V as opposed to previously 12V in the event it does not detect it correctly. Ensure firmware is up to date. Also, using a charger that does not have a Lithium charging profile, which is different to other LA chemistries, is not something I can personally agree with and may well interfere with a battery BMS. Does the battery bank share data with the CCGX and is DVCC enabled?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
hfuglestad avatar image
hfuglestad answered ·

Well, the Bluesolar is «locked» on 48V.

The built in BMS of the battery is unfortunately not compatible with the victron system so can’t do any read outs.

I do belive the Bluesolar 150/70 can charge lithium, or am I wrong?

Don’t know what DVCC is so probably not.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Have you configured the Multiplus with the correct battery settings?

It is EOL, but does indeed have a Lithium profile, option 7. As long as your custom profile is similar with the manufacturer's values, I cannot see any issue.
1710246325895.pngMaybe set the charge profile to no 7 as it is lower than the manufacturer's spec so cannot do harm and see if that makes a difference.

0 Likes 0 ·
1710246325895.png (72.4 KiB)
hfuglestad avatar image hfuglestad ejrossouw commented ·
Been thinking the same thing, and will try the opt.7 next time I'm up there. It might just be that the opt.8 don't "support" lithium in some way.

Also tried out the DVCC option via VRM setup, but it did not do any difference, but that might have something to do with the fact that I don't have a compatible BMS for controlling. The built in BMS in the battery isn't compatible with the Victron system.

0 Likes 0 ·
hfuglestad avatar image
hfuglestad answered ·

So, got some new info regarding this problem.
It's been winter time her the whole time with the new lithium setup, and now when the spring sets inn I've experienced that when the battery temp exceeds around 6 deg Celsius, the charging from the BlueSolar ramps up to full effect.
When charging from inverter/generator it ramps up at 1deg C, as setup in the config. (Recomended from battery manufacturer).
Can't see any obvious place in the BlueSolar menu where I can adjust that restriction.
Does anybody have any suggestions?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
By default they all cutoff at 5C which is configurable on the new chargers. No clue if the old ones are adjustable.
0 Likes 0 ·
hfuglestad avatar image hfuglestad nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Okay, that kind of explains the situation then.

Is this described in the manual somewhere? Feels like I've read it from start to finish multiple times to try and find any solution and can't recall ever read anything about that.

0 Likes 0 ·