question

jan-bolecky avatar image
jan-bolecky asked

Venus gx stuck on boot?

After some tinkering with system (multiple ON/OFFs) the venus gx stopped working no internet connection or wifi. Led on venus gx stuck on RED at all times.

I tried:

-Unplugging everything from venus and resetting.

Reflashing with these instructions

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/bbb-user-instructions
but with no success. Is there any different approach how to adress this probelm ?
Thank you

Venus GX - VGX
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
What did you use to write the image to the SD? Most common issues are the SD/USB not booting.
0 Likes 0 ·
jan-bolecky avatar image jan-bolecky nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I used win32diskimager according the instructions in the link.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jan-bolecky commented ·
Maybe try with Balina Etcher, it is the other one mentioned in the Cerbo docs.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tried balena etcher just now, no success.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jan-bolecky commented ·
It isn't guaranteed to work on a venus. If you're sure you used the right image file, maybe try via USB stick. Failing that, it may be bricked beyond recovery.
0 Likes 0 ·
tried with etcher and USB stick now, no success(the usb wont even start blinking). I tried connecting it directly into PC through USB mini and i get error that states device malfunctioned (no device descriptor sent).
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

sounds like its been turned off when its doing a fw update, and its system is now not loadable, so its bricked.

if its under 5 years old then please contact whoever you purchased it from for a repair or replacement.

If its going to be replaced then ask them if you can upgrade to a cerbo GX for a small difference.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jan-bolecky avatar image jan-bolecky commented ·
I have fw updates set to manual so its very unlikely that it was doing update. It is 6-7years old so i doubt any warranty is possible.
0 Likes 0 ·