question

errolt avatar image
errolt asked

Can Venus OS device manage VE.direct connected devices?

I'm playing with VenusOS on a PI.

If I have devices like MPPT 150|35 and BMV-700 connected to a VenusOS PI, can the Venus OS PI manage settings on the MPPT and BVM?

Or do I have to unplug the MPPT or BVM, and plug it into a PC every time I want to modify a config option?

For some reason I expected VenusOS to include the functionality of VictronConnect, or at least, to be a proxy/gateway between the VicrtonConnect app and the ve.direct connected devices.

I saw mention on this post from 2019: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/15335/venus-gx-set-monitor-all-devices.html

that "configuring ve.direct products is not yet possible". I take it that that is still the case?

PS. I ask this in Modifications because I'm running VenusOS on a PI, I don't know if it behaves differently on official hardware.

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery MonitorVenus OSVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

If you have Victron Connect on a phone and VRM access is set up on your VenusOS device, then when you open Victron Connect on your phone you can choose "LOCAL" or "VRM", if you choose "VRM" you should see your VenusOS device (Cerbo GX in my case), select this, then you get the choice of "OVERVIEW" or "DEVICES", select "DEVICES" and you should then see your MPPOT and battery monitor and can then select one of these and then select settings. The VenusOS device therefore works like a gateway allowing remote Victron Connect access.

As a trial, I have just loaded Victron Connect on my Windows PC and I can follow a similar set of choices to get access through to individual device settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

errolt avatar image errolt commented ·

But this isn't possible locally? Somewhere, locally, I did see a "devices" type list, but that only showed status, ie battery voltage. It didn't allow me to set anything.

I will try it via the VRM portal, but, being from Africa, internet isn't a granted. I prefer to keep things local.

Thank you for trying it out, and letting me know though. I really like the Victron products, due to their open and friendly attitude towards the tinker community.

0 Likes 0 ·